possible eBay Scam Rc 300 with green Michellins Stonehouse

Trialsmeister

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recently (today) tried to view and buy a Pace RC300 with Green Michelin tyres and Hope discs fr and rr on eBay.

I was sketchy about it all the way, seller with low and 0 sales feedback etc, but as it was supposed to be 35 to 45 mins away, I would go and see it, pay accordingly.

If you had pictures of a tidy silver RC 300, with crud branded catchers front and rear, and brakes/tyres as above, outside a tidy wooden outbuilding, with gravel hardstanding, on here or elsewhere...
I fear your images may be getting used for nefarious purposes.

Keep sharp out there people.

M

Re: *Warning* eBay Scam Rc 300 with green Michellins Stonehouse

You mean this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-bik ... SwBXpapPt6

Why do you say it is a scam? the listing ended as someone bought it on buy it now! and the seller has feedback, just hasnt been active for over a year.

Being mad that someone else beat you to it doesnt make it a scam :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: *Warning* eBay Scam Rc 300 with green Michellins Stonehouse

That's the very one.

Apologies if you think that warning a relevant forum readership, based on my experience today, around the item in question, was out of line. You are also assuming sour grapes on my part for "losing out". This is not the case. It may be for many very active traders, who would have seen this bike as an avenue to profit from.

My only motivations however, were to warn the forum that this is what I found to be the case. I do want a square tubed Pace without a cracked frame, but I'm not going to cry scam on here, every time I fail to get one.

Stand me corrected and I will apologise unreservedly for my shortcomings.

Have a fantastic afternoon now.

M

Just going by your original post, which seemed like a lot of accusations and little proof. How do you know it didnt exist for example?

I can see the autocratic nature of my OP. i have edited accordingly. The bike was listed this morning, at a starting auction price of 450. I had bid. Almost straight away it was ended and relisted at the BiN. i was still waiting on a reply containing the finer details around condition, potential to view with regards to condition, which were never forthcoming.
I don't know anything, re the actual existence of the item, but have seen various items listed, located in more remote areas in the past, where distance selling is going to be the expected sale route, only for no item to have existed, it really fits that MO.
I already recognise, my haste to get my warning out to the forum, my spider senses were obviously on fire, I again apologise for that haste, though from what I've experienced in the past, I wouldn't be paying in advance for this.

M

Thats ok :)

Only 2days ago i contacted a seller on ebay and asked if he would end an auction and sell it me as a buy it now, he did :) people ask me all the time as well, which i do.

And you are covered if you buy something from a seller and it doesnt turn up so no worries ;)

Well, I'm all about safe buying. I'd prefer also to not complete all the way with ebay. Although with a higher value item, I'd rather go through the ebay motions, then agree with the seller to cancel at both ends, when everyone was happy.

I just liked the way we used to do it, before ebay.... By turning up and viewing something and paying there and then accordingly. When you're an hour up the road and the seller doesn't want to know, for me, alarm bells are ringing. Said bike, was listed as collection only, I offered the full price, collection basically any when to suit, no ending early offer, no reply.

Previously I've had two rc200s from ebay, both had cracks, which were not described. The hassle and time wasting that ensued with the return process, made me never want to purchase something, I'd so set my heart on, buying from a distance again.

Regards, M

Re:

If you look at the top of the head tube on this one it also looks to have a crack to me?

I'm sure you've seen it but there's a listed "new" RC300 on ebay at the moment.

Attachments

• rc300.jpg
    rc300.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 692
Re: Re:

Gordie":382kln29 said:
If you look at the top of the head tube on this one it also looks to have a crack to me?

I'm sure you've seen it but there's a listed "new" RC300 on ebay at the moment.

I have, thank you for letting me know, I'm looking for an excuse to head down to that part of the world, though it's on the extreme outer upper of my price range for what's on it.

Well spotted, re the crack... if something's too good to be true, it probably is. (Just wish they'd be open about it from the outset.)

All the best, Mick.

Back