91 ! Early U-brake Zaskar in need of saving - London

MADJEZ

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
uk gearmuncher":30xjtmwl said:
MADJEZ":30xjtmwl said:
Is that a fair price for a ‘91 zaskar ? How much should people pay for one of these ? (or frame only) as I’m after an 18 incher

No, not really a fair price at all - £300.00 is too much for this particular one. It's doubtful you would recoup much selling the modern junk on it and once you have done so, all you would be left with is a frame and U-brake as the only remaining original parts. That would then leave you with the task of searching for the harder to find parts, for example the proper 3D forks, flip flop stem...

Early ones do seem to crop up as complete bikes more often than the later ones, there have been a couple of good original versions on the 'bay recently but they seem to be going for stronger money these days. £300.00 should still see you home though (if that's your budget).

I reckon a third of that may also get a frameset if you're lucky.

mynchiboy":6gx2ohnl said:
uk gearmuncher":6gx2ohnl said:
MADJEZ":6gx2ohnl said:
Is that a fair price for a ‘91 zaskar ? How much should people pay for one of these ? (or frame only) as I’m after an 18 incher

No, not really a fair price at all - £300.00 is too much for this particular one. It's doubtful you would recoup much selling the modern junk on it and once you have done so, all you would be left with is a frame and U-brake as the only remaining original parts. That would then leave you with the task of searching for the harder to find parts, for example the proper 3D forks, flip flop stem...

Early ones do seem to crop up as complete bikes more often than the later ones, there have been a couple of good original versions on the 'bay recently but they seem to be going for stronger money these days. £300.00 should still see you home though (if that's your budget).

I reckon a third of that may also get a frameset if you're lucky.

Hmm, I've been recently offered one for £300 for just the frame. I think I'll hold out then !!!

uk gearmuncher":24fbq98f said:
MADJEZ":24fbq98f said:
Forks WAAYY too long, mish-mash of parts.
Someone save it before it snaps at the BB !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Zaskar-mo ... SwMGVaU9Jq

Last year I paid £30 for a 91 LE with full M900...just sayin :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
EDIT: I actually gave him £60 if I recall as I felt a wee bit guilty :oops:

Racin'snake":4sdaq3l9 said:
Last year I paid £30 for a 91 LE with full M900...just sayin :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
EDIT: I actually gave him £60 if I recall as I felt a wee bit guilty :oops:

... you know we all hate you now :evil:

Zaskars are a funny bunch at the minute, either very cheap or very expensive with no rhyme or reason as to what they'll fetch on the day.

one will turn up for you, just bear in mind 18" frames measure nearer 20" and the 20" are huuuuuge. Early were designed around a Mag20/21 so the forks need to be around 410mm otherwise too short makes the bike tramline and too long gives you a floppy front end.

And nobody wants a floppy front end.

legrandefromage":1d8knbxr said:
Zaskars are a funny bunch at the minute, either very cheap or very expensive with no rhyme or reason as to what they'll fetch on the day.

one will turn up for you, just bear in mind 18" frames measure nearer 20" and the 20" are huuuuuge. Early were designed around a Mag20/21 so the forks need to be around 410mm otherwise too short makes the bike tramline and too long gives you a floppy front end.

And nobody wants a floppy front end.

Thanks for this. Useful to know.

Back