Kona Hei Hei 1996? 19"

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
not sure, theres a link in my sig to limited build thread :D

agree about the decals too, but in fairness you can't see them when riding

'95 Hei Hei.

Non sloping top tube and no rear v brake cable stop, could be early '96 but early '96 models tend to have the sloping top tube again. Later '96 have the rear cable stop on the top tube to run v brakes instead of canti's and dog collar.

This is a 96 model. The assumption that all 95 Hei Hei's have a straight-ish top tube is incorrect. The flatter top tube will be seen on 19, 20 inch frames and also 21 inch.
If you look at any 95 hei hei in 18 inch it has the same sloping top tube but with a shorter seat tube extension, that is all.
The frame for sale is a huge 5 bar gate with incorrect decals but correct colouring and cable guide for the 96 model year.
The image below shows an original 95 Hei Hei with "normal" Kona geometry in size 18. This one has the original decals too, many people think that they are bright yellow because the lighting in the catalogue would suggest this. However they are in fact the same bronze/gold colour as the rest on the 95 line up. The problem is, as I have said before on here, that there are so few genuine 95 models on line to look at, most seem to be 93,94 or 96,97 models.

Attachments

• 95 kona hei hei 18 inch 2.jpg
    95 kona hei hei 18 inch 2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,223
fattiman":4w2yd6y8 said:
This is a 96 model. The assumption that all 95 Hei Hei's have a straight-ish top tube is incorrect. The flatter top tube will be seen on 19, 20 inch frames and also 21 inch.
If you look at any 95 hei hei in 18 inch it has the same sloping top tube but with a shorter seat tube extension, that is all.

When i refer to a non sloping top tube i dont mean it is straight across, just in comparison to other years. If a Kona is measured centre to top then a shorter seat tube extension would suggest that the top tube is not as sloping as that of one with a longer seat tube extension in the same size!? sorry if im being stoopid, been a long day :)

I don't really follow. The frame triangles are exactly the same size on a 94 as a 95, only on the 95 the seatpost extension is shorter.

fattiman":tn2319u9 said:
I don't really follow. The frame triangles are exactly the same size on a 94 as a 95, only on the 95 the seatpost extension is shorter.

What i mean is, an 18" Kona seat tube is 18" from centre of bb to the top of the tube, yes? so, if the seat tube extension looks shorter, then surely the top tube joins the seat tube higher up? therefore the top tube isnt as sloping as one with a longer looking seat extension!?

Back