Cleland

Re:

Kind of looks like a "parts bin special " to me, I'd keep the frameset and saddle though. Disc brakes make sense actually.
Yeah, interesting.

Re:

Interesting in a weird sort of way !

I don't know when the first Hope hydraulic disc brakes became available, however I suspect that might be the key to finding
out when this bike was made as it looks like they were fitted from new

My initial thought was Highpath, but I am aware that they had their own unique front hub brake design, and would surely
have wanted to use and promote it on any bikes they built ? However they were custom bike builders, and if a customer comes along
wanting the latest technology then who knows ?

There are several troubling areas that would put me off, not least the transition from the seat stays to the diagonal braces,
also the rack mount looks crude ( Clelands had their racks integral to the frame ) Highpath were known for their attention to
detail and good design, and this ? well I am not sure

It would be interesting to hear from Mr. Wallace

Hope History site says "1994 - 1995 ..Hydraulic Revolution
Hope introduces their first hydraulic brake, launched at Eurobike with a concept twin disc system. Production brakes were only available as a single disc. It was a powerful "open" system fitting to CNC’d fork adaptors at the front and custom braze-ons at the rear."

Re: Re:

jimo746":kdsefcy0 said:
Kind of looks like a "parts bin special " to me, I'd keep the frameset and saddle though. Disc brakes make sense actually.
Yeah, interesting.
Spot on :cool: The frame forks and handlebars are original the rest of the parts were added when the original parts were acquired by a friend of mine who used to trade in cycle parts and ran a cycle jumble stall.

focomat 1c":kdsefcy0 said:
don't know when the first Hope hydraulic disc brakes became available, however I suspect that might be the key to finding out when this bike was made as it looks like they were fitted from new
This bike was a Highpath 'Cleland' model, made in 1985 for a tall rider. Originally it had 80mm diameter Series one Highpath floating cam, fin cooled hub brakes.

My initial thought was Highpath, but I am aware that they had their own unique front hub brake design, and would surely have wanted to use and promote it on any bikes they built ? However they were custom bike builders, and if a customer comes along
True, later on Highpath did build bikes fitted with hydraulic hub brakes.

There are several troubling areas that would put me off, not least the transition from the seat stays to the diagonal braces, also the rack mount looks crude ( Clelands had their racks integral to the frame ) Highpath were known for their attention to detail and good design, and this ? well I am not sure
The transition from the seat stays to the diagonal braces, though unusual is classic Highpath and structurally sound. By Highpath standards the rack and its mounting is crude and though they never made bikes with integral racks they did make bolt on ones of their own design.

Regards,
Graham

Back