Rear Wheel twists in stays on my Santa Cruz Cameleon Mk 1

Runrig

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, l am new to the site so not sure if you will be able to help me. I have a Mk 1 Santa Cruz Cameleon which I have rebuilt after spraying. I used the bike for a short time before passing it onto my nephew. He is now experiencing the following problem, after a few days the rear wheel moves and the tyre rubs the frame. The rear stay is the slotted type and no matter how tight he tightens the skewer it still twists. I got him to change the skewer to a bolt type too see if that would cure the problem. Still the same !!!!! Is there anyone else who has experienced this problem and if so can you please advise me on how to sort it out, or do l need to purchase a part to lock the wheel in place. K

Helloooooo!

First of all, check how much axle sticks out of the hub and compare it to how thick the drop-outs are on the frame.

If the axle sits further out than the frame, the quick release /skewer wont have anything to bite on and will allow the wheel to move.

Re:

Hi thanks for the quick response to my problem, I understand what you are saying and I will contact him and get him to check. If that is the problem l guess that I will have to space it out so that the skewer can tighten it up.

Re:

The dropouts were adjustable and used crankbolts to tighten in the 'slider'... make sure they're set the same so the qr is tightening flat and make sure they're tightened too. Could be the we is tight but the sliding dropouts aren't.

Back