What's this then?

Adam_S

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

This has been up for sale for ages,at first they had it listed as a Specialized Stumpjumper.

It's got all the signs of a possible 88 Kona,i'd like to see a photo of the serial number on the bottom bracket.

did the high end frames have rack mounts back then? obviously had a repaint so no reason to assume the prestige sticker is real

catf":2s16lvwk said:
did the high end frames have rack mounts back then? obviously had a repaint so no reason to assume the prestige sticker is real

My '89 Explosif had rack AND mudguard mounts. '89 Explosifs don't handle very well - look good, yes, ride well, no. I sold mine and kept my '90 Fire Mountain - says it all really!

SP

Splatter Paint":2j9oasmd said:
catf":2j9oasmd said:

My '89 Explosif had rack AND mudguard mounts. '89 Explosifs don't handle very well - look good, yes, ride well, no. I sold mine and kept my '90 Fire Mountain - says it all really!

SP

A 1990 fire mountain better than a 89 Explosif :?
Your Explosif must of been filled with lead,because the 1990 Fire Mountain i had weighed a ton and it's like chalk and cheese between them.

Out of all the splatter paint Konas i've had i'd put them in this order.
Tied in 1st would be the 1990 Cindercone and 1989 Explosif
2nd 1990 Explosif
3rd 1989 Cindercone
4th 1990 Lavadome
5th 1990 Fire Mountain
6th 1989 Fire Mountain

Out of all them i'd say there is a big difference between the 89 Explosif,1990 Explosif and Cindercone compared to the rest of the other splatter paint Konas.
The other Konas are still good bikes to ride but if you've had a shot of the other three you'll probably understand,they're just that little bit more special.

Re:

I found the '89 Explosif ponderous handing-wise and it felt too upright and well, old! The '90 geometry is much better - enough to offset the 4lbs weight different. Note my FM has a full '89 Deore XT groupset so is way better than the stock 300LX. Mine, in terms of pure performance would be, based on ownership:

1990 Cinder Cone
1990 Fire Mountain
1989 Explosif
1990 Lava Dome

The 1990 Cinder Cone frameset was a great ride.

SP

Back