Kona Hot 1993 18"

Re: Kona (not Hot) 1993 18"

Does that have the "suspension corrected geometry" that a 1994 frame would do? I've been on the lookout for an Ultimate Ultrastrong Explosif for a while but a Hot would do very nicely. I'd like to be able to stick a suspension fork on the front though.

The head tube looks pretty shitty too. Do we reckon that's just surface rust or does it go deeper?

Adam_S":1aot1jy9 said:
Does that have the "suspension corrected geometry" that a 1994 frame would do? I've been on the lookout for an Ultimate Ultrastrong Explosif for a while but a Hot would do very nicely. I'd like to be able to stick a suspension fork on the front though.

As al-onestare has pointed out, this is a 1993 Kona so it will not have "suspension corrected geometry". Even the smallest of travel forks will upset the intended handling.

As for it being a Hot - more likely not IMO - the main concern is that rust on the Head Tube. The Bottom Bracket will be troublesome but not impossible to remove.

I thought that the 1993 Hot didn't have rack eyelets at the dropouts, like the frame for sale does, although I'm confused that this frame doesn't have rack eyelets on the Seat Stays like the Explosif does :? . A serial number would confirm the seller's description.

Pip.

Well a trawl through Retrobike unearthed the following pic of another Hot.

file.php

I'm pretty sure I can see a rack eyelet on the dropout there. Both frames also have an indentation on the drive side chain stay just back from the bottom bracket to give clearance for the chain rings which is definitely not on the Explosif so I reckon it's a Hot. I'll see if the matey on eBay can give me a serial number.

The head tube is definitely a worry but I'd want to send the frame to Argos for a complete overhaul and respray anyway so in the worst case they could always stick a new head tube in.

The 1993 catalogue shows the Hot with a suspension fork, albeit a short travel one. Am I right in thinking that they changed the geometry for the 1994 frames though?

Re:

Spanky22b":3t14n8xl said:
Why would you get your Hot sprayed the same as the 93 Fire Mountain :?

That's a good question! There seems to be a few fade versions around from '93 though, including the red/black version that vertical has on here. I spotted a lovely magenta and black one on the back of a truck in Canada last year (complete with colour matched Mag21's) but it drove by before I could have a proper look :(

Oh yeah, I'm 99% certain it's a Hot as well. Mine also has rack mounts on the dropouts. Somebody needs to ask for the TET frame number!

Re:

Thank you very much gentlemen for the information on the 1993 Hot.

I should have looked further before posting, as this frame in the link below shows the Dropout eyelets, with no Seatstay eyelets and an indent on the Drive Side Chainstay..... and a TET serial number.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=286872

Pip.

Latest posts

Back