Cracking Alan

yagamuffin":270in8z3 said:
Such a shame, one of the most beautiful bikes around. Anyone think it could be repaired?

Me :D Not that ive money to afford such luxuries but i stand and say thats repairable.

What is carbon ? A cloth bound with resin, much like fiberglass.

I would paint resin(west system) onto the crack, working it in as best i could.
I would then place a new piece of carbon cloth around the entire tube, applying more resin to that.
I would cover that with cling film
I would seal around the entire tube with polythene bag, of similar type to me veneer pressing bag.
Then using a simple hoover(vacuum cleaner) withdraw all the air out the bag thus pressing the new piece of cloth around the damaged tube at approx 15lbs per square inch.
(might require sealing the ends of the tube in the seattube or headtube )
After 24h that would be solid. The resin worked into the crack, with inside will be pristine will bond to it in all ways. plus bonded solid to a piece of cloth running its entire length, width. Nope, honestly think this is as strong as original or damn close to that.

Personally, think thats all a top tube crack would need given theres not a huge strain on that tube. :?

dyna-ti":1gty5rkd said:
yagamuffin":1gty5rkd said:
Such a shame, one of the most beautiful bikes around. Anyone think it could be repaired?

Me :D Not that ive money to afford such luxuries but i stand and say thats repairable.

I would then place a new piece of carbon cloth around the entire tube, applying more resin to that.
I would seal around the entire tube with polythene bag, of similar type to me veneer pressing bag.
Then using a simple hoover(vacuum cleaner) withdraw all the air out the bag thus pressing the new piece of cloth around the damaged tube at approx 15lbs per square inch.
After 24h that would be solid. The resin worked into the crack, with inside will be pristine will bond to it in all ways. plus bonded solid to a piece of cloth running its entire length, width. Nope, honestly think this is as strong as original or damn close to that.

Personally, think thats all a top tube crack would need given theres not a huge strain on that tube. :?

No

s-l1600.jpg

dyna-ti":3qciw2dn said:
yagamuffin":3qciw2dn said:

Are you looking at the same damage as the rest of us dyna ? The carbon isn't the problem but the long crack in the ali hub from the rear to the crank.

I would say a parts only bike and the frame is a wall toy. You might be able to get an ali welder who knows his stuff to fix it but given it's pretty central to the bike and a stress point, I wouldn't be happy to use it myself.

Nah, Jubilee clips look shite, and anyway, it might interfere with the pedal. Slap some of this on it, job done:

aluminum-foil-tapes-250x250.jpg

Back