80s Ridgeback

Re: early 80s ridgeback 84 -86?

hi
I am now the proud owner of one of the first Ridgebacks in the UK. I know Ridgeback started in '83 and entered UK in '84. Mine has Bi-plane forks, light green paint and black anodised rims and components.
Whats interesting about mine is that it comes with an SR slingshot stem, having looked at catologs on here I can't find one with a slingshot, as all the components are original including the tyres I can't see why the stem wouldn't be original, its certainly period specific.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.JPG
    IMG_1807.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11,825
Re:

Hi

Welcome to the site, great first post :D :cool: :cool:

Looks like the stem might be specific to the bike as most I have seen have silver top clamps, in the early days specifications were somewhat fluid ;)

Great score, ride and enjoy

Mark :D

Re: early 80s ridgeback 84 -86?

zaskarking said:
[attachment=0]IMG_1807.JPG[/attachment]hi
I am now the proud owner of one of the first Ridgebacks in the UK. I know Ridgeback started in '83 and entered UK in '84. Mine has Bi-plane forks, light green paint and black anodised rims and components.
Whats interesting about mine is that it comes with an SR slingshot stem, having looked at catologs on here I can't find one with a slingshot, as all the components are original including the tyres I can't see why the stem wouldn't be original, its certainly period specific.

That looks amazing. I would LOVE to see more pics of it please :)

Re: early 80s Ridgeback

Hi Guys
Does anyone know what year ? I know ‘84 was their first entry to Europe and judging by the spec I don’t see why this couldn’t be an ‘84 it does have bi-plane forks.
I’ve added more photos, like I said previously seems to be all original components even tyres!
Pretty much time warp condition!

Attachments

• D8469B8A-4C06-4B36-B321-C61178F4C24E.jpeg
    D8469B8A-4C06-4B36-B321-C61178F4C24E.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11,718
  • 6D8FEC9F-E3E3-4ACC-9365-E69568212348.jpeg
    6D8FEC9F-E3E3-4ACC-9365-E69568212348.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 11,718
Re:

I may be able to help you ! A drive side photo showing the front and rear mechs would be a great help , however it looks as if you have a Ridgeback 501 . There was an earlier
version with a conventional lugged frame construction also known as the Ridgeback 501 , but yours appears to be the TIG welded later model

I have some catalogue scans that both mention your SR stem , but black anodised . So it was certainly standard equipment at one stage . The bike was supplied with a mix of high end ( for the time ) and lower end Shimano components .

From the XT range you should have BL-M700 brake levers , BR-MC70 brakes and HB-MN72 hubs , while from the AL-11 series you have SL-MT50 shifters , RD-AL11 rear mech
and FD-AL11 front mech . If you examine these components you will find a two letter date code stamped next to the part number . This will give the date the parts were
manufactured , and the earliest date that your bike could have been made

The paint colour is unusual , however the catalogue indicates that for an extra £5 you can have any colour of your choice

To complete the spec I would expect to find Ascenti Hardalloy eyeletted rims , Nutrak tyres and a Madison saddle

Hope this helps

Re: 80S RIDGEBACK more info

hi Focomat
Interesting time searching my Ridgeback, some points match with what you asked for others not, so starting with brake levers there is no stamped information at all apart from Red-S which after a quick search on here seems they were Madisons own brand. They certainly feel good and sure do look retro mind!
The Cantilever brakes have Shimano stamped on the centre pull and Red S on the callipers.
As for the hubs they are stamped -'Sunshine-made in Japan' and are black anodised or powder coated and are laced with black spokes in wide box section Rigida AL 25/32 Made in France rims shoed with Nutrak 26x2.1 rubber as you suggested.
The thumb shifters just say Shimano EM.
You are correct the front mech is FD-AL11, REAR RD-AL11
It does indeed have a Madison saddle.
Stem is SR MTB 100, bars SR200, Crankset SR, BB SR, seat clamp Mallard, Pedals SR SP 513, chain D.I.D, rear cassette Shimano 600
Frame is stamped under BB but nothing that looks like a date DO301 and 09169
The only things that look like does possible is the drive side pedal arm has 170( the length0 and then 83 in the mould circle, non drive side has 84 in the circle.
The mushroom grips have O.G.K 82-2A Japan.
I hope this helps any more info needed just ask.

Attachments

• E4962938-5BDC-4207-AA22-16442F3ADB93.jpeg
    E4962938-5BDC-4207-AA22-16442F3ADB93.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 11,685
  • 6E91873B-27CD-4968-BE4C-54D7C9B481C9.jpeg
    6E91873B-27CD-4968-BE4C-54D7C9B481C9.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 11,685
  • E48567B1-A945-4662-AB31-401CC7CE3B40.jpeg
    E48567B1-A945-4662-AB31-401CC7CE3B40.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 11,685
Re:

For those not familiar with the history of Ridgeback, it was a brand of the cycle importers Madison.Their all terrain bicycles were initially sold through Madison's freewheel catalogue and through Madison's Beta Bikes shop in West Hampstead. The person behind Madison and Ridgeback was Errol Drew who saw some mountain bikes in the United States and decided to introduce them to the UK.

Though the early frames were imported from the far-east, it is highly probable that the bikes were built up in the UK from using parts imported by Madison. The first ever Ridgeback bike was included in their 1983 Freewheel Catalogue and Madison claim that they "introduced the mountain mountain bike to the European scene" Interestingly, the 1983 and 84 the Freewheel catalogues do not refer to these bicycles as 'mountain bikes' but as 'all terrain bikes' of 'off-road bikes'.

On page 94 0f the 1984 Freewheel catalogue, they claim that "The Ridgeback was the first off-road production cycle to appear on the European scene". This is contentious. Some would say that it was the 1981 Raleigh Bomber or one of the numerous attempts earlier attempts form companies like Vintec or Phillips to mass produce 'tracker' style bicycles. What the Ridgeback did do was up the stakes on build quality and durability. Though their where earlier high quality off-road bikes that were produced in small numbers like those from Jack Taylor, Robert's and Cleland.

Based on information from the 1984 and 1985 Freewheel catalogue the early Ridgebacks frames were either of welded or of lugged brazed construction. Your bike frame appears to be welded, which means that it is a Ridgeback XT, or Ridgeback S. Both of these bikes listed the 1985 catalogue are only available in a dark 'slate-grey' and their components differ from yours.

Based on your bike having a lighter 'grey-enamel' frame it must be either an 1984 Ridgeback XT, Ridgeback S, or 1983 Ridgeback XT model (In 1983 it was simply referred to as the Ridgeback)
Your bike is not a 1984 Ridgeback S as the component spec is wrong.

As the 1983 Ridgeback, and the 1984 Ridgeback XT have very similar (maybe identical) specs,
it may be impossible to date it precisely. Though I will research this further.

Back