* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:58 pm 
Retro Guru

Gumtree ad here....
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/mari ... 1192770436

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi, I want to build up a couple of old mountain bikes into touring bikes for a very long tour in a few years (so not in any rush but want to start looking for bits and pieces now). Does anyone know enough about these Marin frames to know if they'd be suitable? And is the rust shown in the photos likely to be a problem?
Thanks a lot for any advice!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 am 
Retro Guru

Don't think I'd trust that rust for a long tour. There are plenty of discussions on here about suitable retro frames for that purpose. Personally I'd probably go late 80s and slightly higher end but not top end (I've never done the long tour but I have dreamed about it!). There are lots of different considerations though

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:06 am 
Old School Grand Master

That's simply surface rust, nothing to worry about. The Palisades had pretty sturdy tubing so has a huge margin of strength. The ones to worry about for internal rusting are high end Tange Prestige etc frames. There are loads of 531 bikes from the 30s and 50s still fine.

My tourer is built from an identical 1990 Marin Palisades frame. They make splendid tourers. It's done 25 years service and several tens of thousand miles over 4 continents. In unmodified form I rode the Pacific Coast of the USA (camping) with no changes other than some bar-ends and new wheels (I'd worn the original rims out a year earlier). Let me know if you want any details.

In addition it has done numerous trips in Europe, plus Australia, NZ, Malaysia, been used as a commuter for two years when I lived in Singapore and also in the UK. There's nothing original left other than the frame admittedly after all these years. Chas May brazed on some extra bosses about 15 years ago and then resprayed it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks a lot both! I phoned up about it and it's the wrong size unfortunately, but will keep on looking. (it's 19" for anyone interested.)

Hamster I may well end up picking your brains again at some point! As I said, our really big tour won't be for a couple of years probably (i've got a phd to finish first), so have plenty of time to mull everything over. Have done quite a few 3-4 month tours before on very crappy old mountain bikes, but this one will be quite a bit bigger so think we need to actually build something a bit more sturdy this time!

Thanks again,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Chris, no problem. I've refined it a bit for my needs over the years, and it keeps evolving (this winter's addition was a Shimano XT dyno front hub which also provides battery charging). Happy to share. The bike is rock steady at 40mph with 4 panniers and a barbag, yet still sprightly enough to be pleasant to ride unladen.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:14 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

ChrisFerg wrote:
Thanks a lot both! I phoned up about it and it's the wrong size unfortunately, but will keep on looking. (it's 19" for anyone interested.)

Hamster I may well end up picking your brains again at some point! As I said, our really big tour won't be for a couple of years probably (i've got a phd to finish first), so have plenty of time to mull everything over. Have done quite a few 3-4 month tours before on very crappy old mountain bikes, but this one will be quite a bit bigger so think we need to actually build something a bit more sturdy this time!

Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Chris what size frame are you looking for, I have an old early 90's wheeler frame/fork going for not alot of money pick up from Hove if you are interested? and a gt timberline as well

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi! I think 18" given various sizing charts etc online, though that sounds a little small so I should probably testride a few to make sure.. definitely up for coming to have a look at them some time if that's ok, it's not far :-)