Saracen Tufftrax 1989/1990

MostlySnarkless

Retro Newbie
Hi all - first of all, I'd like to say a thanks to everyone for making this site so useful; I've been lurking on and off for a while now ever since rescuing my old Saracen Tufftrax from storage at my parents, and I've found quite a lot of inspiration and guidance from the various threads regarding getting the bike back up to scratch. Unfortunately, I think that the job is beyond me - I've cleaned it up as best I can, and have spent ages trying to get the front derailleur to work properly (including learning how it works first, how to adjust it, how to replace the cable, etc.) and although it shifts properly when it's up on the bracket, it's recalcitrant to shift into the largest cog when I'm actually riding.

Other than the issue with the front gear, it's in pretty good condition in my opinion - better than many of the badly rusted 'barn finds' that sometimes appear, but not as good as some of the as-new/NOS gems - so hopefully it will pique someone's interest/nostalgia and will go to a good loving owner who's able to get it sorted out.

My mum recalls that this was bought from Eurocycles on the Isle of Man back in 1990 as a Christmas present - it was expensive (for them at the time) so apparently they paid for it with 6 months of post-dated cheques... don't hear of anyone doing that any more! Unfortunately she doesn't have the original invoice/receipt or any of the paperwork so we can't place the date or model any more accurately.

eBay listing runs until 6th October and has more pictures, and I'm happy to post more here if anyone wants to see anything in particular: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/232095355547?

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• Saracen Tufftrax.jpg
    Saracen Tufftrax.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 408
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Wow that looks really good Mark, I had a similar problem, would only shift up to the large chainring in if I was on the smallest ring on the back.
Unfortunately I never sorted it as I passed the bike on to a friend.
I'm sure someone more knowlegable will arrive soon with a remedy :D

Back