Early Funk MTB (looks sort of like an S-bike)

SF Klein

Senior Retro Guru
Never seen a Funk like this before. Looks like it's in excellent condition and could be an interesting project for someone. The 11 pound weight the seller claims for the frame sounds really high - I wonder if he's actually had it on a scale or if he's guessing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162135643109

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You would think Funk himself would recognise it, especially as they made very few designs (even less in the very early days), but he doesn't! Very odd.

very odd ball and without direct provenance (I sound like antiques roadshow) it might be tricky to sale. I know Daryl certainly experimented a lot with frame designs but never saw this one.

Re:

The seller mentions a trade show and the bike's 11 pound weight and the one photo of a similar "Funk" branded frame appears to be taken back in the day. I thought it might perhaps be a prototype of some sort intended to generate PR and customer interest at the show and, if enough interest came about, Funk would then refine the design prototype to save weight, refine details, etc. It has me curious too.

Back