Unrealistically priced Marin Team Issue...

Bedfordnorthend

Dirt Disciple
The bloke has given it a good go at selling it - but good luck to him getting £345 for it (mine was £50 with a set of Pace forks). Is it actually a Team Issue?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191895494438

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

My first impression is 'no', it isn't a Team Issue ... or a Marin.

The Team Issue had the cable stops located at the bottom of the steerer tube. Also, the frame number looks wrong - and is stamped in the wrong place.

But I could be wrong -and happy to be proved so. :D

Re:

Certainly not a Team Issue.

As JonTom pointed out, the cable stops should be near the bottom of the headtube, not on top of the top tube.
Neither the 1993 nor the 1994 Team Issue (frame number hints at an August 1993 build date, so I checked both catalogs) have rack mounts near the top of the seat stays.
They also have a less elevated eyelet at the dropouts.
The dropouts themselves are also a lot chunkier on an actual Team Issue.

So no, this is NOT a Team Issue. I'm not seeing anything in the Marin catalogs that looks like this frame, so I too really doubt that it's a Marin.

Oh yes, definitely a top of the range Marin. Don't you remember them racing with racks on back in the day! :facepalm:

My guess is a shop brand (maybe Merlin (Lancashire)). Still a nice nickel plated(?) Tange Superlight frame, just without the race pedigree.

I thought it was a little suspect. The cable stops on the top tube are definitely wrong and doesn't look like my 92 Team Issue. Given its not a Team Issue or even a Marin - his price is certainly on the ambitious side...

Re:

aftermarket decals, dropouts different, no rack mounts on original TI, seat binder post different, certainly no frame no. on seat tube (?) on the TI. so as posters above state similar but not the real deal I think at least not 93 I suspect

very overpriced, nice sales pitch but looks like it will go back on his wall

P1130622.jpg
$_12.JPG

Re:

'96 Apex has the gear cables on the side of the top tube. I've looked at the '93 model too, but that has them going underneath the BB.

I'm with Yagamuffin on this one, it's most likely some shop brand.

I do like the looks of it and it is my size. I don't like it £345 much though
Perhaps I should point him to this thread, burst his bubble and offer £50 for F+F alone

Back