1989 specialized epic

Re:

I'm pretty sure that's a 1990/91 frame as it has cantilever studs rather than U-brake, think the seller is laying it on a bit thick with their description of how early and rare this frame is TBH. "I know this is the earliest 89 known" hmmm really :LOL:
Reasonable price though but finding the right fork to match it could be tricky.

Isn't this the 1992 (1993?) S-Works Carbon frame? The one with steel lugs... I thought the 1990/1991 Epic had longer chainstay lugs, almost half way through the seatstays.

Re:

There's so much misinformation in that ad that it's painful to read.

Here's Epic #2 which belongs to Ed Zink. Just because it's cool :)

Re: Re:

ridevintagemtb":22fd6gp5 said:
There's so much misinformation in that ad that it's painful to read.

Here's Epic #2 which belongs to Ed Zink. Just because it's cool :)

That's a 1990 Epic too going by the decals and the fact it's got rear canti's. According to the research I've done it would appear that 1988 was the first year of production (not sure if they were selling them to the public at that point though?) and the 88/89 epic's all had rear U-brakes under the chainstays. It may be #2 of that years production but not #2 from the start of production I would have thought.

The S-works carbon is very similar to a 90 epic in terms of its construction so without decals it could be difficult to confirm which the ebay frame is TBH without seeing it in the flesh and studying the details.

Re: Re:

DynaCol":32qmtxd0 said:
It may be #2 of that years production but not #2 from the start of production I would have thought.

No, it's #2. Serial number is 002. Built late 87. He specifically requested cantilevers.

I think the frame in the auction is even later, like 91. My 1990 has the early version of the chainstays with the extended steel "Lug", not the updated ones that offered better clearance and a shorter lug.

Re:

Well that just confuses things even more :LOL:

The decals look like a later version TBH and very similar to those in the 90 catalogue that's what led me to think it was a later frame, Possibly been changed at some point during its life?

Back