price of wheels from the early 1990s

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Nothing to do with me, but I do have 2 sets of the dx m650s / mavic 231s on two of my marins, how much :shock: and 1 set of the LX m550 / Wolber AT-18s (albeit a different year from sticker) on another so watching with interest

no wonder bikes are being broken up although appreciate the first is from a trader whose prices generally are not cheap, not sure if anyone on here

dx m650 / mavic 231 BIN £99 f+r

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Retro-De ... SwBahVWy8U

LX m550 / Wolber AT-18 r only - auction

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-26-Wheel ... SwFNZWuOZK

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":1jmic1qg said:
'That' ebay seller is a tool.
:LOL: guessing not on here, no one is going to pay that much

seen lots of stuff but never liked the prices generally but some of it sells ?? be interesting to see what the other one goes for

I agree the prices are daft but some people must pay them on some things. The seller is actually a nice chap as I asked for a better price on a Syncros Cattleprod stem that no one else had aside from one in the USA which was £65 pounds not dollars excluding shipping! The one from 'that' seller was £40 shipped so I said could he do it for £30 shipped as it was super clean and he agreed and it arrived the next day. Goes to show just ask for a better price. Also he is a business and we don't 'have' to buy from him/sellers like him if we don't want to. Some things are stupidly priced though and he must relist and relist.

SavagePower":3lspaz4r said:
I agree the prices are daft but some people must pay them on some things. The seller is actually a nice chap as I asked for a better price on a Syncros Cattleprod stem that no one else had aside from one in the USA which was £65 pounds not dollars excluding shipping! The one from 'that' seller was £40 shipped so I said could he do it for £30 shipped as it was super clean and he agreed and it arrived the next day. Goes to show just ask for a better price. Also he is a business and we don't 'have' to buy from him/sellers like him if we don't want to. Some things are stupidly priced though and he must relist and relist.

interesting, and absolutely agree everyone has a choice and could study economics, and to at least see the "supply" side helps

for me it's the quality of old wheels rather than the price which is the issue - in this sense i find them absolutely terrible value for money

so many times i've bought them described as 'buttery smooth', ' true' blah blah blah and then they are wonky, crunchy, notchey, not dished....both from eBay and on this forum

seems to be more so for wheels than almost any other part of the bike - but maybe i've just been unlucky?

Rodrigues":24jwg7mx said:
for me it's the quality of old wheels rather than the price which is the issue - in this sense i find them absolutely terrible value for money

so many times i've bought them described as 'buttery smooth', ' true' blah blah blah and then they are wonky, crunchy, notchey, not dished....both from eBay and on this forum

seems to be more so for wheels than almost any other part of the bike - but maybe i've just been unlucky?

That was my experience, so I started only buying wheels I could collect. I was going along and pulling the spindles
out to check the races. If the races weren't perfect I wouldn't buy them.
So if your after some DX/ritchey/araya wheels I have 3 sets for sale[well I will flog 2 sets and keep 1] in my stuff for sale,
good rims, good bearings.

integerspin":c2du0vqf said:
...............so I started only buying wheels I could collect. I was going along and pulling the spindles
out to check the races. If the races weren't perfect I wouldn't buy them.............

never had the nerve to take them apart to check myself, but then never bought anything that expensive on ebay. Out of interest how much would you be spending before pulling spindles ?

On one occasion when purchasing a front road wheel albeit for not that much the seller seemed rather reluctant for collection and hoping to post. Anyway after much toing and froing we met outside Camden tube, and as I held it up to give a spin to check true, he mentioned the bearings could do with a bit of a grease, but if too bad we could cancel the sale. I handed the wheel back.......there are people who are optimistic and people who are just chancers and just not as described.

But even if these were as described giving the benefit of the doubt they are still :shock: in my view.

legrandefromage":2lm28x9j said:
'That' ebay seller is a tool.

He's got to be a member on here surely or at least cruise around on here.

For me it's the sacrilege breaking up the bikes built from factory spec.If idiots are paying the crazy prices then so be it and fair play.I certainly wouldn't be one of his/her customers.

Re:

Trouble on here is everyone is wanting a bargain
Look at it this way instead...how much will it cost me to buy the component parts and have the wheels built up and if after this you can still do it for £100 then good for you
It costs me nearly £20 to post a pair of wheels in a nice new box from staples with bubble wrap woven through the spokes and round the whole rim. It's an effort but it's worth it to keep the buyer happy.
I am not the guy on Ebay if I could do EBay listings I would sell all my stuff there as it goes for top dollar.
And another thing....nobody here ever bothers to give any feedback ,I have sold hundreds of things on here and still have no hope of getting a gold trader listing despite asking buyers if they are happy after they have received the items.

Latest posts

Back