Kona Hot 18" 1993?

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
How to ruin a Hot and, as the seller says, make me howl with outrage.

Wrong placement of and wrong decals (at least they can be removed), plus removal the bosses and guides. And you got the paintwork done by a top, top man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Hot-Frame- ... 463e9acb47

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
chris dekerf for sure did a great job on the frame - but was it worth doin so ? I dont think so.

In the end even a worn original Hot will be sold easier than a modded one with fresh paint - regardless of the quality paint it is wearing and which top frame builder worked on the frame.

magas":34d3mpjc said:
chris dekerf for sure did a great job on the frame - but was it worth doin so ? I dont think so.

In the end even a worn original Hot will be sold easier than a modded one with fresh paint - regardless of the quality paint it is wearing and which top frame builder worked on the frame.

Here here.

al - we are thinking in the same way :)

everyone can do with their stuff what they want to do, but when it comes to selling such modded frames - regardless of what it had been before - it will never fetch the same money as an original Hot.

We have over here another fine example of this thesis: 96 Hot in blue in the US . nice frame, nice paint, but not original, aswell. Not selling over here with reduced price, then on Ebay - also not sold for the asking price. Now again advertised with a further reduced price. If it had been original I bet it would have sold with ease. ;)

magas":3ojzcpwj said:

everyone can do with their stuff what they want to do, but when it comes to selling such modded frames - regardless of what it had been before - it will never fetch the same money as an original Hot.

We have over here another fine example of this thesis: 96 Hot in blue in the US . nice frame, nice paint, but not original, aswell. Not selling over here with reduced price, then on Ebay - also not sold for the asking price. Now again advertised with a further reduced price. If it had been original I bet it would have sold with ease. ;)

Could not have said better... ;)

Re:

As Frank stated, that frame was originally mine, well I can't say originally, but I was a previous owner.
I actually just sold it this past spring for more than the auction starting price, which is why I was surprised to see it back up for sale, after the mods and paint job (and massive dent in drive side chainstay repaired) which could not have been cheap.

Should I reveal what I paid for it? I picked it up from a local bike shop that I had taken a P2 fork to, to have the threads extended, and they messed the job up.
So, to resolve rhe situation, the mechanic took me out back to see what they had laying around, and I brought this home, stuck seat post, one pair of xtr canti's, original stem, fork, headset, and Sugino mighty crankset.
I didn't know what I scored unril I got home as there was no top tube decals, and I originally thought it was an explosif, until I found the serial number.

Cheers,
Steve

Davichin":2yvnwkrj said:
magas":2yvnwkrj said:

Could not have said better... ;)

Me neither, cap doffed Magas. Someone copy this and get ready to paste it next time this happens on any top end steel frame. This is where originality really counts towards saleability and a higher commanding price.

That 96 one really makes me weep inside. Any original colour scheme no matter how battered would have us and others hitting the trigger as it's such a sound frame.

Ah well, c'est la vie!

Latest posts

Back