Rockshox mechanical disk brakes on PB

Re:

I collected quite a few pairs over the years but could never get them to work particularly well (or well enough to stop me properly). Look ace though.

Re:

Yeah, they weren't great stoppers, In fact I had one of my worst downhill crashes on a bike with these brakes back in the late '90's resulting in a smashed up Bell bellistic helmet, Broken wrist and three ribs :cry:

They're a semi hydraulic system, Cable actuation with a hydraulic reservoir for the pistons, You could pump the little 'top hat' on the caliper to 'bleed' on the fly :shock: (whilst stationary of course :LOL:)

They were manufactured by Amp iirc and would have come with a three bolt rotors, White Industries three bolt hubs and avid ultimate levers (although others hubs/levers may have been available, Just going on my own experience) So it was a fly looking package which gave a nice feel but no match for Hope C2's I had on my other bike and still have to this day..........

Worth having for novelty value though.

Formula made hubs also, and there were adapters to take front 6-bolt ISO hubs to the 3-bolt front rotor BCD (which was larger), the rear 3-bolt pattern had an identical circle as 6-bolt ISO (so 3-bolt Amp/RS rear rotors fit 6-bolt ISO hubs). Chris King offered adapters for their universal disc hubs also as did Ringle. The calipers were designed around CANTILEVER compatible brake levers. They work well with road dual control levers as well. They sucked with V-brake levers which unfortunetly a lot of people tried to use them with, especially given that Rockshox started offering their version in 1998 when hardly anybody was producing quality canti-only levers anymore. EBC made pads for them in all three of their color compounds (green - general purpose, red - wetter conditions, and gold - race only). Pad choice makes a difference in performance. The rotors were 163mm front and about 145mm back but there was also a 7 1/2" diameter DH front rotor. I still have a dozen of the rockshox calipers, half of which are NOS and I'll eventually put them on ebay. They're still a good brake for CX bikes and road bikes since they're compatible with road drop levers and dual-control levers.

Back