Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Kona Explosif 19" 1997
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am 
Old School Grand Master

Needless to say I recommend these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONA-EXPLOSIF ... 390wt_1170

But unless I'm mistaken there's a dent on the top tube. I'd be wary just because the tubes are so thin. There's a right odd mixture of components some very nice, some not so nice (the cranks).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Lovely frame but a strange combo of parts. I don't think I'd want a 125mm fork on that frame either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Agreed. I've messaged the seller to see if they can check the top tube for dents.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Seller has confirmed there is a dent on the top tube.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm 
Retro Guru

You'd think that would be the sort of thing you might mention if you were trying to sell the bike concerned!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:48 am 
Old School Grand Master

It was the first thing I noticed, they really should take some close ups of that and add them to the listing.

Still, great bike!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:43 am 
Old School Grand Master

Beware / be careful its gone past 200 squid type bump

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I must say that my 97 Kilauea has a similar small dent in its top tube. The tube is the same thickness as the Explosif. The dent was there when I bought it in 1998 and it hasn't changed in the 15 years since then, so I personally wouldn't be bothered by this.

Although the Vanilla is a 125, it is adjustable from 80-100-125 and looks to be on the 100 setting at the moment. I agree that this is too long for a 1997 Explosif, especially in combination with that original 120mm stem, so the bike must have pretty dire handling. Set the fork to 80 and fit a 100mm stem and it would be a good bike.

Assuming, as I do, that the rear end is the same as on the Kilauea, there is surely no need whatsoever for a suspension seat post? The 96 Explosif is a very comfortable all-day bike and although it does have a completely different rear end, I can't think it can make that much difference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:28 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Anthony wrote:
I must say that my 97 Kilauea has a similar small dent in its top tube. The tube is the same thickness as the Explosif. The dent was there when I bought it in 1998 and it hasn't changed in the 15 years since then, so I personally wouldn't be bothered by this.

You're a braver man than I. And without being rude to any of the heavier bikers out there, it might be something to think about (especially if you're going to ride it hard) :wink:

Also, they still haven't mentioned it in the ad and if you didn't spot it in the picture, you'd have every right to be pretty pissed off when you picked it up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

al-onestare wrote:
they still haven't mentioned it in the ad and if you didn't spot it in the picture, you'd have every right to be pretty pissed off when you picked it up.

It isn't his bike, so he may well not have noticed that it's there. Digital cameras invariably make little things like that look far worse than they are.

I just went to look at mine and couldn't find it again until I used a torch. Laying a straight edge along it, it seems to be about a quarter of a mm deep. The effect of that on the structural strength of the tube is going to be negligible, so no bravery is called for! It wouldn't surprise me if the dent on this bike is much the same.