de Mayo frame + forks

Looks right up my street & at least 0.3kg lighter than my Explosif frame too! Must resist, must resist....

Made in the UK?

Or made in the same factory as handsome Dog, Ballistic, Merlin etc??

CTK":2frfbkln said:
Made in the UK?

Or made in the same factory as handsome Dog, Ballistic, Merlin etc??

Probably the latter. Nice looking frame though, I like the finish.

chaz may used to come into my old shop for bits every now and again. i believe he did go down the far eastern made frame route as it worked out cheaper, although he also used the orange p7 as a replacement for the advertised frame in the original link (although this was when the p7 was still a more traditional xc machine)

i used to regularly service a few of his bikes here and there, a customer told me what he paid for a bike once, i have to say i was gobsmacked at the price when compared to what i could have supplied for a similar price. it was sold on the basis of being a custom frame but it wasn't, it was a custom build spec but not a custom frame.

i understand he moved down devon way after getting demoralized by the internet competition.

De Mayo Firenza

Just for anyone thats interested. I bought this frame off Chaz May using the buy it now on ebay. Transferred all the newish bits id fitted to an old Trek 810 i had recently done up. Carbon forks are great for road and the easier trails alike, taking sting out of most semi rough ground.
Its ideal for my style of use, and am well pleased with finished result.
Only downside are micro spots iv noticed on frame, which as it gets washed almost every time used, i assume may be rust spots. Although they dont seem to be spreading at all, more like specs of black similar to minute grains of shotblast grit.
Any suggestions as to best treatment to limit or safely remove these would be appreciated!

Re: chas May

Interesting to read about the frames built by Chas May and transferred De MAYO, perhaps a copy from the DE ROSA Italian built frames. Back in the late 70’s I was building frames under my own name after leaving as manager of the SBDU at Raleigh. I was approached by Willi Moore to join him and a partner, Peter Scrivens to build frames. After 6 months or so the partner ship dissolved and Peter Scrivens set up on his own at an industrial unit near Salisbury. He was joined by a new builder, Chas May. The building methods adopted were those that I had used at Ilkeston and passed on to Peter Scrivens who I guess passed them onto Chas May.
Some time later I was at a track meeting at Portsmouth and Chas May had a display of his De MAYO FRAMES. I asked him where he had learnt frame building, and the answer was a ‘a guy called Mike Mullett’ which of course was me. That was the first time I had met him. No comment!!!

Back