Univega Boralite

Mr. Zero

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hmmm, this seller doesn't know his cold war technology...

Cool frame but the seller doesn't seem to be too informed about his product.

"Absorbs impacts better than ti"? Incorrect. Practically the most bone jarring material available to man. Magazine tests at the time complained that the frame was simply too stiff to ride.

"Univega stopped making these frames because the special composite was killing regular tubing equipment"? Incorrect. These frames (along with short lived Dean Carbore frames) were manufactured by a 3rd party aerospace firm looking for business after the end of the Cold War. The manufacturing cost of this straight gauge alloy was so high that by the time it hit stores no one bought any! Ti was a better value.

I bought an NOS Dean Carbore frame in 1996 for a few hundred bucks, rode it for around 5 years years (since it was my only bike) and finally the frame snapped at the top tube/head tube junction off a 2 foot jump (metal fatigue).

Nonetheless, I slapped a bid on it because I'm an idiot. :p

I'll tell you what I'm NOT going to do with it if I win...ride it. I'm too old to take the punishment this frame delivers.

Back