Interesting! Polished copper plated Kona Kilauea 19" r

Porschenut

Dirt Disciple

Attachments

• a7f6_1.jpg
    a7f6_1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,709
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Having not sold for $600 a week or so back, you'd think that the seller might realise that he needs to drop his price wouldn't you?

:roll:

Re:

Ha! This was my bike! Sold it over 10 years ago - been Kilauea obsessed these last few weeks and just searched 'copper Kona' on a whim. I had to go to 4 different electro-plating places in Toronto before I found one that agreed to do it. They all knew they could plate it but were worried that they would mangle it during buffing. These were shops that did car bumpers and such and their buffing wheels were like 2-3 feet in diameter. The 4th shop made me agree to not hold them liable if they gave me back a plate of Prestige Concept Spaghetti. They sort of reversed the process, hold the chrome - nickel plating first, then copper, then buff, then a clear coat. In the pic it is 4-5 years plated and still as shiny as the day I picked it up. I bought the bike new in 1994 in Peterborough Ontario. As far as the components go they are actually very close to stock http://si-phi.com/cycles/kona/kilauea/9 ... lauea.html .
The three obvious exceptions are the seat post, stem and seat. The original Kona Racelight seat post had literally explode under me (like gunshot loud catastrophic failure) out of the blue. Out of shock my cheeks clenched, held onto the seat (and post stump) and probably save myself a nasty crash if it had dropped into the back spokes. In the early 00's it seemed like every component was black (still sort of does) and as I recall getting a silver 400mm/27mm post was, well tough on the bank account. I always found the original Velocity stem a bit long/low and replaced it with a Controltech that I sandblasted. The original seat I had moved to a road bike that I had. I believe the bar ends are Onza - cause in 94 you had stubby bar ends. That's just how it was. Oh and those are Conti Cross Country 1.75s. I loved this bike but was moving 6000km across Canada and had to cull my bike herd. Just this month I bought a 95 Kilauea frame and am building it up. I always liked the 94 silver/grey colour scheme. I have chemically stripped the 95 of it's white and it will be as close to that silver/grey as I can get. And of course silver/alum components.

Back