Kona Hot TET 18

mk one":2oxux73g said:
Interesting frame, whats its history and is there a thread anywhere?

Wonder what he 18 is, would have said the production number though its strange it has the longer number along the bottom.
Mark, if you glance at the Hot Serial number list, you'll see that this frame is the first entry.

I assume that the extra serial number was Tom's early attempt at keeping records: 90KH0827C (1990, Kona Hot, Aug, 27th, Custom?)

There was indeed discussion on the 18" / 19" size of this frame in a thread that I am looking for.

I have found a couple of threads (see below), but I haven't yet found the one where the frame is shown with its original paint job (see picture from my files below) but I am on the case.

Original paint:

Three previous owners that I am aware of are Mynchiboy, p3tester & jez-4-bikes-max.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=124075&p=918922&hilit
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84341&hilit

Pip

Edit - This is the best that I can do:
Debating 18" / 19"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59188&hilit
Scroll to Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 pm:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32150&start=30

Pip

Attachments

• 1991 Hot 19 TET18.jpg
    1991 Hot 19 TET18.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 303
Thanks Pip.

That thread confirms what i thought i knew about the earlier frames and how they were measured, appears to be from the top of the bb shell to the top of the seat tube. Its also good to see pictures of the complete bike for scale.

I have just measured my '90 Explosif and that is 17" top of bb to top of tube, 18" centre to top, and has a 21.5" top tube.

Re:

Good to see it again!

FWIW it’s definitely more like a 19” for sure. I had this at the sane time as my 18” later hot and the difference in frame size is obvious.

Seat tube decal is incorrect. The frame had a square Prestige decal originally, before I repainted it. I’m still thinking this just may be the original ‘91 catalogue frame as colour and size are spot on. It was imported by Stif but doubt they would have a record these days.

I’m almost tempted to buy it back myself but other projects and Covid uncertainty would make it a risky purchase for me right now. I would love to build it better now I’ve learnt a fair bit more about all things retro.

It does ride great though. Hope it reaches a good home :D

Re:

Definitely 19 when I measured it, worth saying also the headset was replaced and thank was NOS less than 100 miles ago.

All this nostalgia is making me think twice about selling!

Back