How to add value to your used crap before you sell it.

incorrigible

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Advertised as "A Very Nice Vintage Shimano Deore XT PD-M730 Mountain Bike Pedal Set"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Very-Nice-Vi ... 3029423152

Described as "Condition very good overall, approaching excellent. Some evidence of use and age visible under close scrutiny."

Right. Is it just me or does it look like these pedals have been VERY used and then someone simply spray-painted the cages black? Granted they're XT, and thus durable, so I'm sure they're in fine working condition, but, in my experience, ALL of those scrapes and gouges in the outboard ends of the cages would NORMALLY be bare aluminum (silver) in color.

I bought a bike on eBay once where the seller had spray painted the seat-post, handlebars, stem, pedals cages, etc in order to hide the signs of use and make them look new. From a distance, and especially from the auction pics, everything looked awesome, but closeup, as soon as I adjusted the seat post, the paint scraped away to reveal the tell-tale "zig-zag" left behind by someone who had moved a post that was very tight in the seat tube. Close inspection revealed all those other parts had black paint on them that was easily removed with a fingernail. When I questioned the seller, he said that's how he got the bike; no returns. :x

Caveat Emptor!
(That's all the Latin I know other than "Ad-Hoc, Ad-Loc, and Quid Pro Quo. So little time! So much to know!")

Perhaps we should all message the seller and ask him what kind of paint he used in his attempt to mask these pedals' true condition? ;)

Attachments

• XT Pedals.jpg
    XT Pedals.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 369
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The funniest bit being they have plenty of meat on the cages, pointing to limited miles.
Without the paint they'd look 100 times better.

incorrigible":1s1dtas9 said:
Right. Is it just me

Nope.

does it look like these pedals have been VERY used and then someone simply spray-painted the cages black?

It looks exactly like that's what has happened.

ALL of those scrapes and gouges in the outboard ends of the cages would NORMALLY be bare aluminum (silver) in color.

That's what I'd expect from normal use of pedals.

Seller could at least have used gloss spray paint instead of Matt :facepalm:

& is squashing an o-ring in there really a legitimate new seal?

Think they've only painted the ends - rest looks original. Would likely be a canny set of pedals without the BS

Back