Charge Splashback tyres 1.8

Re: Re:

Retro junkie":d1o6791r said:
Crap or not, it’s all about the look with these and guess who has a pair on his Rourke still in as new condition and could be cohersed in to letting them go for, let’s say £?

£25

Re: Re:

Retro junkie":n7zgct1d said:
Anyone any idea why they don’t make them anymore. Surely they can’t be that shit as all tyres must undergo some kind of factory tests to see where there strengths and weaknesses lie. Don’t shoot me but surely these smoke and darts everyone goes on about and more often than not carry a heavy price, and you buy them are only bought for the aesthetics of how they look. You all know of some make or model of new tyre that out performs them at probably a third of the cost but still they get snapped up as soon as they appear.

I don’t want to seem some sort of arshole, although many of you may think it, but surely how a bike performs is down to rider fitness and the ability to get the best out of your bike whatever’ style you ride

Rant over to you guys. You know I’ve got a point here!!!!

I don't think you're coming over like an arsehole but I don't entirely agree either. To a large degree, how a bike performs is down to rider fitness; equally, though, if I change the tyres on one of my bikes, the performance changes even though my fitness level hasn't. As it happens, I think tyres make a difference to how a bike performs which is out of proportion to how much they add to the overall cost of a bike. Replace light tyres with heavy tyres and, instantly, you lose some responsive, acceleration, etc.

Grip is an issue too: I've got Schwalbe City Jets on one bike at the moment: great on dry tarmac; awful on wet cobbles. Performance is compromised just to avoid clattering to the ground. On the other hand, Race Kings cope much better on wet cobbles with little additional rolling resistance. The Splashbacks were like the worst of both worlds: the knobbles had a hard, plasticky feel that offered little grip but still increased rolling resistance a bit; and they were too shallow for grip in really muddy conditions. Overall, they just seemed cheap and a triumph of style over substance.

I wouldn't say they were 'crap'; just 'qualitatively challenged'! :)

I agree with the point about Smokes and Darts, though. And if anyone wants some Marin Quakes at an over-inflated price, I'd be happy to oblige! :evil:

Back