1997 kona hot

Discussing prices is fine in the eBay section, just not on the retrobike sales page :)

That price is insane!

Re:

Someone must have really wanted it. I bid what I thought was a winning bid in the last 4 seconds and it didn't even register. I was offered this frame 4 or so years ago for a fair bit less but couldn't decide if I really liked the colours that much, the head tube dark green is just a bit much and the light yellow downtube with the darker yellow decal just doesn't work. But it is a '97 Hot and would have been a cool stablemate to my '97 Caldera. Oh well the search goes on!

Re: Re:

pipmeister":eu9b7mwj said:
Back to the main event then:

I believe that discussing the cost of e-Bay items is frowned upon around these parts, but......

The winner of the bidding on this frame has no buying or selling feedback history. I would say the the winning price is more in line with a Hei Hei or King Kahuna!

1997 Hot e-Bay by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

Crazy! :shock:

Half that maybe.

Re:

is it that crazy? these are well made frames and folk foget to look past the kona sticker.

you see far more so called holy grail fat chances and kleins for sale and there strong money. if your a Kona fan throu and throu. a kona hot could be your holy grail. and if one comes along in your size, they seem all to me 16/17 then you have to go for it , the time to buy is when you see it even it it has gone above your price.

i bought mine from here 13 yrs ago, i couldnt afford it but the seller allowed me to pay installments over 3 months. it was the only way i could get one.

kase1983":39hpkpzy said:
is it that crazy? these are well made frames and folk foget to look past the kona sticker.

you see far more so called holy grail fat chances and kleins for sale and there strong money. if your a Kona fan throu and throu. a kona hot could be your holy grail. and if one comes along in your size, they seem all to me 16/17 then you have to go for it , the time to buy is when you see it even it it has gone above your price.

i bought mine from here 13 yrs ago, i couldnt afford it but the seller allowed me to pay installments over 3 months. it was the only way i could get one.

My instinct was to say this was a crazy price. I still think it is but I'm with you on the emotional pull. I'm thankful I didn't may this much for my Hot - same era, same builder - but would I have paid this much? I'd have gotten close (for the one I got).

Question marks and raised eyebrows are definitely valid, particularly over the condition. It's cool it's been well used but that should have been considered with the bidding. Even if that is a false bid at the end, someone was still willing to pay a lot of money.

al-onestare":233p63eb said:
kase1983":233p63eb said:

My instinct was to say this was a crazy price. I still think it is but I'm with you on the emotional pull. I'm thankful I didn't may this much for my Hot - same era, same builder - but would I have paid this much? I'd have gotten close (for the one I got).

Question marks and raised eyebrows are definitely valid, particularly over the condition. It's cool it's been well used but that should have been considered with the bidding. Even if that is a false bid at the end, someone was still willing to pay a lot of money.

Good and fair points kase :)

Just going on what I paid/sold mine for, ok a few years ago so things change, does still seem a lot though ;)

I'd hoped maybe one day I'd be bale to get another Hei hei, but going by this 'sale' those days may be gone? :cry:

Cheers

Re:

This is quite high considering what HOTS have changed hands for previously....... oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years. Retro is cool now so it’s the price you pay I guess.

its_kirby":3ik7wl8f said:
oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years.

Not everything, just the real-deal high-end super-rare stuff; the show-pieces, the garage queens, bespokes, etc. The run of the mill "retro" stuff has bottomed out in my view. Whilst the prices start high, they linger about because of the perception that retro means high price.

al-onestare":342cklbw said:
its_kirby":342cklbw said:
oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years.

Not everything, just the real-deal high-end super-rare stuff; the show-pieces, the garage queens, bespokes, etc. The run of the mill "retro" stuff has bottomed out in my view. Whilst the prices start high, they linger about because of the perception that retro means high price.

Well it cost me a hell of a lot more to deck out my latest vintage than it did last time I did a build, I really struggled to find good quality parts at decent prices as many of the bargains we used to get have been snapped up by the strip n flip merchants. I have seen a few bargains here and there but mainly on the likes of local gumtree where no-one has clicked on to them yet.

Back