Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 1997 kona hot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 9499
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Discussing prices is fine in the eBay section, just not on the retrobike sales page :)

That price is insane!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:03 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 2358
Location: Hove
Someone must have really wanted it. I bid what I thought was a winning bid in the last 4 seconds and it didn't even register. I was offered this frame 4 or so years ago for a fair bit less but couldn't decide if I really liked the colours that much, the head tube dark green is just a bit much and the light yellow downtube with the darker yellow decal just doesn't work. But it is a '97 Hot and would have been a cool stablemate to my '97 Caldera. Oh well the search goes on!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:07 pm
Posts: 81
For me it wasn't wort the best part of seven hundred quid !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:36 am
Posts: 6907
Location: West Berkshire
pipmeister wrote:
Back to the main event then:

I believe that discussing the cost of e-Bay items is frowned upon around these parts, but......

The winner of the bidding on this frame has no buying or selling feedback history. I would say the the winning price is more in line with a Hei Hei or King Kahuna!

Image1997 Hot e-Bay by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.



Crazy! :shock:

Half that maybe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:38 am 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Gold Trader
B.o.T.M. Winner / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 7298
Location: CAMBRIDGE .. UK
is it that crazy? these are well made frames and folk foget to look past the kona sticker.

you see far more so called holy grail fat chances and kleins for sale and there strong money. if your a Kona fan throu and throu. a kona hot could be your holy grail. and if one comes along in your size, they seem all to me 16/17 then you have to go for it , the time to buy is when you see it even it it has gone above your price.

i bought mine from here 13 yrs ago, i couldnt afford it but the seller allowed me to pay installments over 3 months. it was the only way i could get one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 5115
kase1983 wrote:
is it that crazy? these are well made frames and folk foget to look past the kona sticker.

you see far more so called holy grail fat chances and kleins for sale and there strong money. if your a Kona fan throu and throu. a kona hot could be your holy grail. and if one comes along in your size, they seem all to me 16/17 then you have to go for it , the time to buy is when you see it even it it has gone above your price.

i bought mine from here 13 yrs ago, i couldnt afford it but the seller allowed me to pay installments over 3 months. it was the only way i could get one.


My instinct was to say this was a crazy price. I still think it is but I'm with you on the emotional pull. I'm thankful I didn't may this much for my Hot - same era, same builder - but would I have paid this much? I'd have gotten close (for the one I got).

Question marks and raised eyebrows are definitely valid, particularly over the condition. It's cool it's been well used but that should have been considered with the bidding. Even if that is a false bid at the end, someone was still willing to pay a lot of money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:51 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:36 am
Posts: 6907
Location: West Berkshire
al-onestare wrote:
kase1983 wrote:
is it that crazy? these are well made frames and folk foget to look past the kona sticker.

you see far more so called holy grail fat chances and kleins for sale and there strong money. if your a Kona fan throu and throu. a kona hot could be your holy grail. and if one comes along in your size, they seem all to me 16/17 then you have to go for it , the time to buy is when you see it even it it has gone above your price.

i bought mine from here 13 yrs ago, i couldnt afford it but the seller allowed me to pay installments over 3 months. it was the only way i could get one.


My instinct was to say this was a crazy price. I still think it is but I'm with you on the emotional pull. I'm thankful I didn't may this much for my Hot - same era, same builder - but would I have paid this much? I'd have gotten close (for the one I got).

Question marks and raised eyebrows are definitely valid, particularly over the condition. It's cool it's been well used but that should have been considered with the bidding. Even if that is a false bid at the end, someone was still willing to pay a lot of money.



Good and fair points kase :)

Just going on what I paid/sold mine for, ok a few years ago so things change, does still seem a lot though :wink:

I'd hoped maybe one day I'd be bale to get another Hei hei, but going by this 'sale' those days may be gone? :cry:

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 am
Posts: 1989
This is quite high considering what HOTS have changed hands for previously....... oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years. Retro is cool now so it’s the price you pay I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 5115
its_kirby wrote:
oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years.


Not everything, just the real-deal high-end super-rare stuff; the show-pieces, the garage queens, bespokes, etc. The run of the mill "retro" stuff has bottomed out in my view. Whilst the prices start high, they linger about because of the perception that retro means high price.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:17 am
Posts: 1989
al-onestare wrote:
its_kirby wrote:
oh well, I guess they’re kind of rare and everything retro has rocketed in price in the past 5 years.


Not everything, just the real-deal high-end super-rare stuff; the show-pieces, the garage queens, bespokes, etc. The run of the mill "retro" stuff has bottomed out in my view. Whilst the prices start high, they linger about because of the perception that retro means high price.


Well it cost me a hell of a lot more to deck out my latest vintage than it did last time I did a build, I really struggled to find good quality parts at decent prices as many of the bargains we used to get have been snapped up by the strip n flip merchants. I have seen a few bargains here and there but mainly on the likes of local gumtree where no-one has clicked on to them yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MatBH5 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group