RC100 #162 - most bits intact

Bullpup":2eqcz18d said:

Is that a stress mark in the head tube or a trick of the light?

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
pete_mcc":3c4vxzvm said:
It's a parts bike-worth maybe £150 for the cranks, £50 for the forks, the rest maybe £100 and I'll buy the flex-stem for £20, so £320. Economically not worth the effort to get the bike going again; the frame probably needs welding and paint, the forks need painting, the brakes look shot & probably need new pipes, seals, pads, oil and other hardware. Then add new tyres, new bearings, new chain, new cassette, hubs and then the rims with the rusted eyelets and would you trust 25 year old bars that have lived a hard life?

Pretty much where my thoughts were at price wise.
I pitched him a few offers which he wouldn't accept (at this stage at least, plus there are lots of watchers), but he did come back to me with a counter offer - but it was still too far north of what I'd be prepared to pay.

Re:

Is that a stress mark in the head tube or a trick of the light?

Light, those things are so thick it would take a wall to break them...

It's not a 100 though.... early F1, seeing as I have 368 and it's a RC100

That headtube doesnt appear to be as thick as others pictured - seeing a few of the way these crack, I would expect it to be a crack on this frame.

( It was very common to stick massive forks on frames that were not designed to have them, this would often want to rip the headtube off - not that this applies here, I'm sure)

*edited to remove the stupidnessness of the author.

Re:

God, you're a pessimistic bunch ;)

Now if there was a picture of the base of the seat tube/BB area, you might see some down there...

It's more a case of an unclear photo, I can assure you the head tube is original, it's even got the grease nipple on the back, the early frames did vary a bit but they always came from the same stock

Attachments

• Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 504
Re: Re:

gil_m":1ytna5iw said:
God, you're a pessimistic bunch ;)

Guess it comes with buying other peoples crap hoping for the best but always fearing the worst.... Which quickly jades you into revising your thinking into a case of

" expecting to be disappointed " but secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Re:

Looks like it was worth every penny he was asking for then?

I don't think there's many fancy pants retro bikes that are ever worth what you spend on them, it just comes down to how much you want something.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back