FS: Y2K Dave Yates 853 Frame

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
In order to play with other builds I'm letting this rather fine frame go. Reynolds 853 front triangle including a lovely ovalised down tube, I'm guessing Reynolds/Columbus rear. It's also fully fillet brazed including the BB shell and daft light at a smidge over 4 lbs. It's possibly the finest built frame I currently own/have owned, including the two other FB frames I currently have, but I never really got on with it size wise :(

I've been in touch with DY and it's been confirmed that the frame was a custom build from 2000. The head angle is steep but not unusually so, it would work well (I think) with a long travel sus fork as opposed to the 420mm rigids I tried it with. Geometry wise it isn't a million miles away from this newer version owned by a member on here -> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=213406&hilit=yates

Sizing wise it's as follows: 18" centre to top, TT dead on 21" - takes a 27.0 seat post, 1 1/8" fork and 68mm BB shell. Condition is pretty good in general, with the worst scuff on the non-drive side down tube (just near the first 'D' of the decal / head tube junction) . No dents or chain suck damage and the paint is a rather tasteful gloss black with subtle gold flake :cool:

I seem to recall paying £150 posted (in the UK) so that's what I would like to get back. There's a few pictures below...

Attachments

• yates 6.jpg
    yates 6.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 856
  • yates 5.jpg
    yates 5.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 855
  • yates 4.jpg
    yates 4.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 855
  • yates 2.jpg
    yates 2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 856
  • yates 1.jpg
    yates 1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 856
Oooooh! Liking this but fear it might be a bit on the big side :(

What do those dimensions equate to? I tend to ride 16 inch frames and fear standover height might be lacking...

Cheers
Stu

stu":eqbjxh0a said:
Oooooh! Liking this but fear it might be a bit on the big side :(

What do those dimensions equate to? I tend to ride 16 inch frames and fear standover height might be lacking...

Cheers
Stu

Pleased you like it Stu :)

It's actually not as large as seems to be honest, as the frame is only 15.5" measured centre to centre. the TT is also pretty short. I'm thinking that the frame was designed for somebody a couple of inches shorter than me (I'm just under 6' with a 31" inside leg).

I can usually ride most frames between 17"-20" comfortably with a few tweaks here and there, but this one just felt too short and upright for me TBH. I considered adding a longer stem but feared that the handling would be mucked up too much as a result.

I'm not sure it it does but I hope that this helps :cool:

Re:

amedias":377r1cdo said:
don't suppose you have any pics of when it was built or an actual geometry sheet do you?

Sadly, there's no access to any geometry sheets, it would have been very useful as well! All that I could confirm from Yates was the build year. Oddly I've no build photos either :facepalm:

Back