SPIN wheel rebuilds

jacko

Retro Newbie
not sure if this is the right place, mods feel free to move.

I have had 3 sets of spin wheels in my time playing with bikes, one sold, one on my klein with disc brakes, one on my wifes litespeed (cos 'they look mean!') so I have been playing with them and rebuilding them for a while now

Im a little too busy to have people send me tons of wheels straight away but if yours are past their best please talk to me and im sure I can help or if your thinking of binning them (!!!) get in touch as I may be able to use the good bits to help other people.

things that can be done;
bearings replaced
rims / spokes changed over
hubs removed
I have also been riding a spin front hub I converted to discs for over 6 months now, its not cheap but I could do yours too
im working on a rear disc conversion, the designs are all sorted. front was done over this winter rebuild, rear is for next winter....watch this space

I cant fix broken spokes im afraid....if anyone has one that's going in the bin id love to have one to play with! will happily cover postage and a few beers for the scrap part / help you find a replacement part and fix etc

will post pics of my front disc conversion as soon as I have figured out how to put pics in!

You reckon you could remove the play from my rear Spin? I have the vast majority of a spare rear hub.

Thats got my interest!!! there isnt really anything that can allow it to 'play'....hopefully just knackered bearings.

If its just bearings and a little bit of swearing (they dont always like to come apart!) and you can post just the hub (you need a headset spanner, will check size, £3 off ebay) then i could prob do it all for £25 including postage. assuming its JUST bearings...

easier and cheaper to post without a wheel attached!

if there is a 'how to' section on here i will try and write a guide for changing bearings. if your mechanically minded it can be done quite easily but its also very easy to get things wrong and damage something...some of the bearings are quite tight, if you hit them etc then they're knackered! need pressing in straight really. the rear cassette seal is also easily damaged. My advice is not to unless you have a workshop and the space to do it with no rush as they are too rare to damage by accident.

I teach engineering and run a track day car thats all my own work and even i doubted myself unscrewing my first hub...very easy to damage but as long as you know 'righty tighty, lefty loosey' your fine with that bit, it just seems very tight due to a lot of threadlock.

Bearings are very essy to change imo and i wouldnt dream of taking the hub apart if not needed. I did the bearings without even reading how they were to be done, thought they were pretty much obvious

Not sure what to do with them to be honest. Not being used and in reality probably never will be...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Love spin wheels and now I know u can do a disc conversion to them they would look amazing on my gfs sts1 only down side is now I need some

Oh and money

Back