Tiny Kona Explosif complete - no longer for sale

mamadirt

Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
*No longer for sale due to a massive change of heart :roll: - sorry*

I'm sure I'll regret this after my labour of love resto but I need to free up some cash for another project ('Welcome to the Hotel California', indeed :LOL: ). The complete bike was built up with many new parts at the beginning of August and has only seen road and cycle path use since then.

p4pb8509574.jpg

13.25" 1998 Kona Explosif Reynolds frame (would benefit from a respray but in tidy condition following my extensive tlc - you can see the poor thing in its original state and follow my resto here.
Rock Shox Indy C forks in good smooth working condition with soft (purple) spring fitted - ideal for light rider.
New WTB Momentum Greaseguard headset.
New Ritchey brushed silver alloy 50mm stem.
New black alloy lightweight riser bars (few tiny scratches from lever fitting).
New WTB Trailgrips.
New Brand X seatclamp.
New Ritchey brushed silver alloy 26.8mm seatpost (shimmed to 27.0).
New blue Vuelta Lizard saddle.
New silver alloy V brakes with white brake pads, white cable outers and black Odyssey canti bolts.
Shimano Deore LX M570 brake lever/shifter combo (excellent cosmetic condition).
Shimano Deore LX M570 9 speed rear derailleur (excellent cosmetic condition).
Shimano Deore LX M570 170mm cranks (currently fitted with Stronglight 36T chainring and red alloy bolts, but I will include the original Shimano triple chainrings and bolts should you wish to run gears).
Odyssey Turbo Trap beartrap pedals (excellent condition, barely used).
Newly built wheelset comprising new blue Alesa X-plorer rims, new spokes, new LX M570 front hub and skewer and used but excellent condition rear LX M570 hub.
New slime-filled self-sealing presta tubes with dark blue alloy valve caps.
Used but good condition unbranded tyres (rear semi-slick, front knobbly).

I think that's it but please get in touch if there's anything else you need to know or if you'd like to see more pics. The bike is currently set up singlespeed with a conversion kit and 18T cog, using the rear mech as a tensioner which runs very smoothly, but has front and rear shifters (9 speed) and I will include a pair of gear cables and blue outers along with the original three chainrings - all that is needed is a 9 speed cassette and front mech should you wish to run one.

p4pb8509573.jpg

Total cost of my restoration with the new parts was in excess of £350 but I realise that this was a labour of love and it'd be unrealistic to expect to recoup my costs. I'm looking for £250 collected from Newport in South Wales but I am happy to partially dismantle and post via Parcelforce 48 hour delivery for £270.

You can see many photos of the build in my pinkbike.com gallery here, including detailed pics of the original frame condition and the small dents and paint gouges which remain.

Cheers! :)

Why oh why do these bike appear when there is no way I can justify another one.....bloody good price too.

absolutely cracking bike. shame to see it move on, but hopefully to a good home

GLWS

Chain guide is a DMR hinged clamp from a 'Chain Reactor' along with a Black Spire roller and suitable allen bolt to fit - I've run several of these over the years and they work a treat for 1x8 or 1x9 set ups which don't warrant a full chain guide.

Latest posts

Back