WTD:Nano-budget bike build bits; not even as posh as Mad Max

reptile smile

Devout Dirtbag
Hey all,

Having frittered my money away on a wedding on the 3rd June, I'm on an absolute nano-budget to try and build something out of a Marin East Peak frame I came by recently. Quality and modernity are less of the essence than crazy cheap; this bike may end up looking post-apocalyptic, but it is my last hurrah at 'my own thing' before I move in with the missus. It is, I suppose, as close as I'm getting to a pedal-powered stag do ;)

This is what I'm working with. Fair bit of play in bushings. Well, I say that, I'm not certain, in that where I think the play is (around the single pivot), I'm not seeing the bushings, never mind the play in them - more that it 'nearly fits', ie; wasn't the original part. We'll see...

Can you help me 'source' the following items?

Front disc-capable wheel - Never thought I'd be asking for this, but anything available..?

Rear/right hand 8 speed shifter - Sorted :)

Forks - sorted :) [letmetalktomark/coomber]

Chainrings/bolts - Sorted :) [jamabikes]

Rear brake cable - Sorted :) (just wondering if anyone has any cable cutters they might be bringing to the Haldon ride this Sunday)

Left brake lever/shifter - Sorted :) [cce]

Wheels - Sorted :) [cce]

Seatpost clamp - Sorted :) [Cyfa2809]

Cranks and bottom bracket - Sorted :) [Cyfa2809]

Chain - Sorted :) [cce]

Grips - Sorted :) [Khane]

Saddle - Sorted :) [cce]

Seatpost - Sorted :)

Gear cables - Sorted :) [Cyfa2809/cce]

Spacers - sorted [cce]

Front disc brake - Sorted :) What words do you find when someone out of the blue karma's you a front disc brake? Cyfa, you legend..! [Cyfa2809]

Many thanks folks. Anything you can offer or suggest will be gratefully received or considered.

do you know a rough length for cable?
can see what i have then

and also, what sort of left hand lever you after?

You really are a legend, aren't you, Cyfa? :)

I will have a measure of the East Peak tomorrow and have a bit of a guesstimate.

I have a general preference for clicky rather than twisty, but anything anyone has available would be better than the bare frame I have now, if you see what I mean... :)

ok if someone could eloborate whether shimano st-mo75 is canti only (i think it is)

if its v brake though, should do you. although shabby.

(if not i have a couple 'sets/pairs' of things which im a bit less reluctant to split but then you may just get both! :LOL: )

does this frame have a disc mount?

which is the frame in question now??

let us know seatpost diameter too!

ive got a load of other really cheap bits that could fit the bill for you as well as that mech- none will really be more than a fiver and i can cut you a deal for a job lot ;)

think ive deffo got a LHS alivio rapidfire shifter same age as that mech, a complete cheap SR suntour crankset off a giant, should have a V-brake lever too. and ive got some new grear cables, and a few different size seatsposts if you find out the size.

and ive got some fairly cheap but ok-ish forks , i just cant remember what they are, but theyll only be about £15. ;)

Def got a spare saddle kicking around the shed should be about 4 quid to post if any good? :)

Also l've got some shimano combined shifter levers pretty rough but serviceable if you want them l think they are 7 speed and definitely V brake :)

I have some XCM V2's I think. Black disc only and 100mm travel in disc only that are surplus to my requirements, will fish 'em out and take some pics if you want. Very good condition as they were used for only a week or so before deeming them too long for the GF's bike.

Hey guys,

Mucho thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. The thoughtfulness, helpfulness and time taken just to check sheds, etc, and replay has really blown me away.

I got a bit confused as to whether some items were 'priced' or 'karma' - is it ok to check in a non-awkward way?! :)

What I should have said as well at the start was that I feel the least I can do for karma items is to offer to pay postage!

Ok - so:

Cyfa - Seatpost diameter: [edit] Now sorted
Cable length - Rear gear = 1m 40cm (core length)?? Rear brake = perhaps 1m core length..?
No rear disc mount
Marin East Peak with - I'm pretty sure - non-standard rear triangle. Or at least, I'm not sure it was Marin who angle-ground part of the rear triangle away to make clearance for the front mech... (pics to follow ;))

Dez:
The crankset could be a go-er, but it depends on price - could I possibly let you know on Monday..?

Konaman:
Saddle - pretty sure I'll take you up on that and thank you very much, but can I confirm on Monday? Similarly - were you intending the shifters to be karma'd? No probs if not, but if they are, definitely yes please!

Sick_nick:
I'm presuming you don't mean karma for the V2's?! If not, no probs; if so, am biting your hand off..! ;))

Back