Wheelset swap?

djoptix

Senior Retro Guru
I have a nice pair of modern MTB wheels and what I need is a nice set of touring wheels.

The set I have is Mavic Crossland, straight and true, straight pull spokes, have been used (though never by me) but VVGC. Braking surfaces look untouched. Can come with tyres (Conti Vapor 2.1s) if you can offer me the same. UST rim strip has been removed and electrician's tape used instead (dual wall rim, no protruding nipples, so this works fine), as the strips had been butchered by the previous owner, but they will be supplied and could be re-fitted. I removed them because I thought they were stopping the Continental tyres seating; it turned out the Contis are just really tight but by that time I'd removed the strips anyway.

What I need is a light-ish, well-built set of 26" wheels, 9-speed capable, with standard type bearings - because I want to convert the rear to solid axle. Decent hubs and not huge rims. The Mavics have fancy pants sealed bearings, which are fantastic but won't allow a solid axle conversion. Also, straight pull spokes and boutique bearings aren't very fixable in the field. Tyres wise, if you can offer them and want to swap for the Contis, I'd be looking for almost-slick-with-a-bit-of-grip affairs, and again, quality is king. WHY?

Sorry - Crosslands are happy with rim or disc. I'm after a rim brake set. And actually I'm considering 8-speed rather than 9.

These ones any good? Rim sides are dirty from greasy pads but doesn't shown wear at all. Actually pictures makes them look bad.
36 DT swiss spokes laced to 565 buttery smooth hubs and Velocity aeroheat rims.
Perfect straight and mint. Bombproof set. They've had really easy life indeed.

Back