'Proper' Kids Mountain Bike - Prepared to split

Dave_H

Senior Retro Guru
None of your Islabke/Frog bike nonsense, this is a proper mountain just like Dad's or Mum's

It's based around an extra small Voodoo Bantu frame - maybe not fancy but a surprisingly light alloy frame which measures up 13" c to c seat tube and a 21" top tube.

The bits that help make it kid specific but still a true MTB are the FSA Moto X cranks that were professionally cut down and tapped to 155mm and the 24" Shimano/Singletrack wheels. I built the bike up for my son when he was 9 with the intention of popping in some 26" wheels as he grew. Have just reached that point but then I got tempted with a small Ragley frame and a shed full of spare parts......

Other bits of the build are
- Marzocchi something or other air forks (MX Comp maybe?)
- Alifine hydraulic disk brakes
- SLX Shifters and front mech / XT rear
- 12/36 9 speed cassette

It's a lovely little true mountain bike that's light with good range of gears with a 2x9 setup to get up virtually all hills. It's looks and feels like the real thing .... I suppose because it is!

It's in pretty good condition - it has a few minor paint chips and the likes but my son has taken good care of it. I'll give it a proper clean before collection or posting so the new owner gets something nice and shiny.

Difficult to know where to price it but basing it on being a proper mountain bike, £250 would seem about right for the spec.

Also happy to break the bike down
Frame with headset and seatclamp - £60
Forks - £60
Wheels with tyres and tubes - £70
Chainset with chainrings, bashring and bottom bracket - £50

All prices plus postage

p6pb15621485.jpg

p6pb15621484.jpg

p6pb15621483.jpg

p6pb15621482.jpg

Re: 'Proper' Kids Mountain Bike

Erm ... I can go and measure my lad if you want. It's far too small for me and I'm 5'10" if that helps! :D

Based on the other kids in his class, he's ever so slightly smaller than average. He started riding it at 9 and it was a "only just fits" type size. He's now 11 and whilst it still fits him perfectly well, it was time to move it up to 26" wheels, push the saddle back and start thinking about a slightly longer stem at some point.

Tried my average sized 7 almost 8 year old daughter today with a plan to hand it down but it's too big for her.

Could you have a measure please? I have a smalller than average 9 y/o and as lovely as the bike is i think its going to be too big! :)

Son is currently 149cm, daughter is 129cm. Son had probably not been long off a car booster seat when he got it so I'd say mid/high 130s would be about the starting point, depending on their confidence of standing tip toes when stationary.

Will include some basic plastic pedals or some double sided flat/SPDs

Would sell for £200 posted for the bike without the gears and brakes (chainset still included)

Back