aende and 1972 witcomb

paddington35

Dirt Disciple
Well the aende is nearly finished so I decided to take it to my cycling club to get there views on the bike and everybody loved it,one of the members asked if I would be interested in a bike that they had sat in their garage for years and their wife wanted it gone,well I jumped at the chance went to pick it up on Thursday it turns out to be a witcomb the chap I got it off bought it second hand 40 years ago and he paid the equivalent of £17 in today's money,it was resprayed a few years ago in motorcycle exhaust paint but the frame is straight no dents or rust,well I thought this will be my next project to restore so I can show the chap when its done he also gave me loads of spares to go with it,when I got it home I had a good inspection on the bottom bracket its stamped Davis conponents,which supplied bottom bracket shells to many of the frame builders and I checked the serial number out and turns out this bike was built in 1972 a year older then me!it has mis matched parts but the chain set is original its a strong light,think the cassette may be to,the wheel hubs are viscount but rims are mavic ma3 to fit tubular tyres,the rear mech is campag but looks to modern for the bike,brakes are weinmann type 730,the headset is strong light,thinking of keeping it a campag group set or strong light group set but not sure if they did rear mech or brakes does anybody know if they did?hoping to do it with 1972 spec any suggestions what's model group set to use from that era?well here's pics of the aende and the witcomb:

Regards
Marc
1972 Witcomb
1990s aende
1991 falcon team banana
2011 cube aerial

Back