Raleigh Catalogue 1973 and 1974/5

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
A few selected scans of some of the goodies that were available at this time.

For the moment Ive just scanned the Carlton bikes. Ill scan a few more pages soon.

Both catalogues are near identicle except for minor changes to colours/specs of the cycles depicted. Both are full colour and A4 landscape format.

Some bits from the 73 catalogue.

Carltoncontinentalscan.jpg

Continental/Corsa. This chap looks too smart to be riding a bike, his flares will get caught in the chain. Jesus boots aint too good on a bike either!

1972Criterium.jpg

A Criterium in mauve. this was the top spec road going bike for the masses then, apart from the Equipe and Kermesse

74/75 catalogue

1974continental.jpg

New decals and colours for this year.

1974corsa.jpg

10cobra-1.jpg

The 531 'Ten' was good value. The all-chrome Cobra was the one I wanted.

kermesse_equipe.jpg

Equipe and Kermesse

1974criterium.jpg

Criterium from around 74/75. Great looking machine.

Sun

sun1.jpg

(Check out the ludicrous centre parting on the driver bonce!)

sun2.jpg

A marque which was built at Worksop from 1960. Now sadly a memory like Carlton.

Ill scan and post some more from these catalogues soon - the rest is mainly Raleigh stuff.

Wow, the photography is hilarious. It looks like something from a freemans catalogue! Those guys are really dressed for cycling aren't they?

That car (March?) reminds me of one we used to compete against BITD.

Interesting. Carlton wanted their bikes were associated with rifles and gas guzzling powerboats and cars.

Elev12k":l2p6j8up said:
Interesting. Carlton wanted their bikes were associated with rifles and gas guzzling powerboats and cars.

Speed and craftsmanship were the values they were trying to get a cross.

GarethPJ":8t4gvabv said:
I don't think Carlton wanted any such thing, by then they were just another Raleigh brand.

Carlton were still pretty autonimous at this point, although a lot of Raleigh branded and controlled parts were gradually diluting the Carlton individuality.

GarethPJ":z3debv2f said:
Wow, the photography is hilarious. It looks like something from a freemans catalogue! Those guys are really dressed for cycling aren't they?

That car (March?) reminds me of one we used to compete against BITD.

This was the 70s man! :LOL:

Spokesmann":rtqu1gk2 said:
Carlton were still pretty autonimous at this point, although a lot of Raleigh branded and controlled parts were gradually diluting the Carlton individuality.

You're not kidding. One of the Carltons I had was about the same age as this catalogue and it was very definitely a Raleig frame.

Back