[ebay.co.uk]Lemond carbon

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Looks pukka to me. My size. BIN is perhaps OK but I just couldn't pull the trigger....

So to you I present this

!Bo3Yso!BWk~$(KGrHqQOKioEu,eYJBnBBLpOnVzJkw~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

Beautiful :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi John very nice :cool:

I would say buy it now pricey but worth aprx £500 - £600, though the photos show something on the forks unless its flash. Bear in mind I was offered a complete ex Team Bike from the US for £1200 with its full C-Record group intact.

I have been watching a few Lemonds recently as there is a TVT for sale as a complete bike in the states for £3000 and there has been a Calfee Lemond for sale in the US as a complete bke for £1200, not to mention the Lemond team issue bike in France at £1600 none have sold. Difficult to price a bike as it depends how much someone wants it.

Lemond Fan":17stl906 said:
Hi John very nice :cool:

I would say buy it now pricey but worth aprx £500 - £600, though the photos show something on the forks unless its flash. Bear in mind I was offered a complete ex Team Bike from the US for £1200 with its full C-Record group intact.

I have been watching a few Lemonds recently as there is a TVT for sale as a complete bike in the states for £3000 and there has been a Calfee Lemond for sale in the US as a complete bke for £1200, not to mention the Lemond team issue bike in France at £1600 none have sold. Difficult to price a bike as it depends how much someone wants it.

Worth is pretty difficult to gague on this sort of item. At 5 I would've likely pulled the trigger so maybe you're right. Suppose the good thing here is I could easily drive to Pontefract and collect.

Also concerned by the fork, awaiting more pics.

Was the calfee lemond the one you were looking at? Assume the team issue hasn't sold because it's supposedly Lemonds bike but a quick look at some pics would seem to show it's different.

Hi John

There have been 2 Calfees in the US recently one an ex team bike (the one I am hoping to get) and one a later retail bike frame built up with a modern shimano group. Both a similar price but neither sold. the calfee I was looking at was the same as this. When doing the some I woked out the frame was worth £600 with the c-record groupset being worth another £600 so I would break even if I shipped it across didnt like it and broke it up.

The steel pre trek lemonds tend to go for around £300 - £400 for a mint NOS one (if you can find one) to £150 to £200 for a rough one this in comparison makes the Calfee look dear but it is a Calfee.

Pauls the best to ask for a value as he owns one, over to you Paul....

With regard to the French one I am sure its a team frame (has a race number hanger) just not the one in the picture, only needs a few parts and you have Gregs bike. From being at the Kelloggs Tour and TDF I rememeber the names are on the frame like this.

As Tim says, I own one of the replica frames from a couple of years later with a few detail differences. To me this frame is more desirable than mine since it's from an era when Lemond was a top 10 contender - this is the model he used in the 1991 tour. It also has the more interesting carbon wrapped brake bridge rather than the machined alloy part mine has and the blue clear coat rather than the clear on mine. The fork is likely an early Kestrel EMS.

I'm very happy with mine, it's a nice smooth ride but feels quick despite the heavy C-record kit I've built it with. The frame construction is a work of art. I vaguely remember paying something like £800 all in about 3 years ago for a complete bike with random shimano (9sp Dura Ace + Ultegra hubs + 105 cranks) / old campag parts thrown in.

Personally speaking I think £500-£600 is a good price with £800 being a bit on the pricey side. At the time I purchased mine I would have definitely been bidding on this.

For comparison, a perfect condition Clark Kent made Lemond titanium frame from the same era went for £537 a couple of weeks back and I've seen Lemond branded TVTs go for similar money. I personally rate the Calfee made frame above both these in desirability terms, but of course that is a subjective personal opinion no doubt formed reading copies of cycling weekly/plus when I was a teenager! I think the TVTs would be more valuable if they had a better reputation for staying glued together!

PS, the link you posted is incorrect. Here's the correct one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lemond-full-carbo ... 3cab4f1d65

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Doh on the wrong link. Thanks for updating.

What sort of numbers did calfee produce of these frames? Also interested to know what (if any) distinction there was between these and the team frames of the same year (1991 I assume)

Let's see how this pans out.

Any of the Lemond team frames would be cool. Love to see pics of yours Paul. Lemond was the big English speaking star when I started getting into riding (bearing in mind the only exposure to pro cycling was the TdF on C4). Think the TVT frame might be cooler but agree the calfee may have a betetr cachet. Anyhow lets see how this pans out...

I've heard there were around 200 Lemond branded Calfee built frames made. I don't know if that's 100% accurate or which years that covers. I think the team frames from '91 were identical, or at least almost identical, to this one being sold, though naturally with custom geometry. Lemond himself had quite extreme geometry on his - apparently a 52.5 cm seat tube, a 57 top tube and a slack 72 degree seat angle. My frame has more or less normal geometry and the one for sale sounds like it does too.

I have an old Bicycling article from '92 talking about how they wanted to change to horizontal drop outs and Italian BB threads for later years - both features my frame has. If you'd like a scan of this article let me know - it has a lot of detail about these frames - it's basically a review of Lemond's actual '91 tour bike!

My bike is here by the way:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70528

paul_tea":mbj4s0tk said:
I've heard there were around 200 Lemond branded Calfee built frames made. I don't know if that's 100% accurate or which years that covers. I think the team frames from '91 were identical, or at least almost identical, to this one being sold, though naturally with custom geometry. Lemond himself had quite extreme geometry on his - apparently a 52.5 cm seat tube, a 57 top tube and a slack 72 degree seat angle. My frame has more or less normal geometry and the one for sale sounds like it does too.

I have an old Bicycling article from '92 talking about how they wanted to change to horizontal drop outs and Italian BB threads for later years - both features my frame has. If you'd like a scan of this article let me know - it has a lot of detail about these frames - it's basically a review of Lemond's actual '91 tour bike!

My bike is here by the way:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70528

Paul,

can't believe I missed your bike first time round. 'Tis a beaut! Were the forks seen those supplied with the bike?

Would be great to see the mag scan of which you speak.

John

Hi John

Another concern I spotted last night is that there is no Z logo on the fork.

Seller is fixed on their buy it now as I have considered it. Just beyond £600 it would not make economic sense as the one (I have been offered) in the states is an ex team bike and has the full C-record groupset and wheels all intact. I also own a coal black replica so it seams silly paying over the odds just to get the Calfee when the one I have is mint.

The bike is also in a bike shop in London not located at Pontefract, with the seller justifing the buyer it now with the current Calfee retail price, however second hand though as new Calfees are usually only £600 going by past ebay sales.

I can check it out at the weekend if you want as I am in London on Saturday.

Best Regards

Tim

Lemond Fan":2b3vz7ew said:
Hi John

Another concern I spotted last night is that there is no Z logo on the fork.

Seller is fixed on their buy it now as I have considered it. Just beyond £600 it would not make economic sense as the one (I have been offered) in the states is an ex team bike and has the full C-record groupset and wheels all intact. I also own a coal black replica so it seams silly paying over the odds just to get the Calfee when the one I have is mint.

The bike is also in a bike shop in London not located at Pontefract, with the seller justifing the buyer it now with the current Calfee retail price, however second hand though as new Calfees are usually only £600 going by past ebay sales.

I can check it out at the weekend if you want as I am in London on Saturday.

Best Regards

Tim

Ti,

thanks. Did you speak with the seller? I did ask for more pics, esp of the fork but have as yet seen none. If he's fixed on 800 then I'm out. The fork lacks logo and also looked to be scraped possible - hard to tell from pic if it matches the frame.

Odd he's in London....

Are you going to look anyhow??

John

Back