Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:54 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 am
Posts: 212
Location: Staffordshire
Hi John

Long story give me a call I will pm my mobile number

Cheers

Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:54 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 am
Posts: 116
I'm not sure I'd be too worried about the lack of Z logo on the forks - Lemond's actual '91 tour bike didn't have that logo in the Bicycling article I've scanned for you, and I've seen another '91 replica built up that lacks that logo. It could be the fork isn't original but if it's a Kestrel EMS and the paint matches then I'd be happy.

However, the forks do look a bit scratched up from the one photo provided. I'd definitely want to see a whole lot of detailed photos before putting up the cash.

Tim - if you don't get a chance to see the frame in London let me know where it is and I'll take a look next week (I'm based in London). Shame the auction ends on Sunday - perhaps he'll put it up again?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23176
Location: Retrobike HQ
paul_tea wrote:
I'm not sure I'd be too worried about the lack of Z logo on the forks - Lemond's actual '91 tour bike didn't have that logo in the Bicycling article I've scanned for you, and I've seen another '91 replica built up that lacks that logo. It could be the fork isn't original but if it's a Kestrel EMS and the paint matches then I'd be happy.

However, the forks do look a bit scratched up from the one photo provided. I'd definitely want to see a whole lot of detailed photos before putting up the cash.

Tim - if you don't get a chance to see the frame in London let me know where it is and I'll take a look next week (I'm based in London). Shame the auction ends on Sunday - perhaps he'll put it up again?


All the photos I've found of the 1991 bikes (which are basically those with Mr Lemond on board) show the Z logo to the fork

Image

Although you're right that it isn't necessarily a cause for concern if they're matched. More of concern is the pics seem to show they're scratched up and possibly not a good match.

Hopefully speak to Tim at some point today to dicuss this.

Have asked seller for more pics. Nothing. Am keen on this but not taking a 'punt' nor willing to get bent over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:52 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23176
Location: Retrobike HQ
Auction ended. Was it pulled? Did someone here bag it? Or did it just finish?

waiting to find out eagerly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 am
Posts: 212
Location: Staffordshire
Hi John

Got news you dont want to hear its here in front of me, will ring you letter with full story. However not all bad news as I think I have found a shop I will give you first heads up on, they had some 'interesting' ex team rider issue frames you will be tempted with.

Thanks for the offer Paul very kind, tied it up with a day sightseeing

Now got the dilema of what stays and what goes, coal black Z Cromo certainly up for sale and maybe red / white one as well.

Also do I do an exact replica or go 06 carbon record.

Cheers

Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23176
Location: Retrobike HQ
Lemond Fan wrote:
Hi John

Got news you dont want to hear its here in front of me, will ring you letter with full story. However not all bad news as I think I have found a shop I will give you first heads up on, they had some 'interesting' ex team rider issue frames you will be tempted with.

Thanks for the offer Paul very kind, tied it up with a day sightseeing

Now got the dilema of what stays and what goes, coal black Z Cromo certainly up for sale and maybe red / white one as well.

Also do I do an exact replica or go 06 carbon record.

Cheers

Tim


Tim,

nice one on bagging the frame. Glad your trip was worthwhile. Interested to hear how it went.

If you do decide to move this one on (too big perhaps ;) ) first dibs here 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 8145
Location: Hereford
Lemond Fan wrote:
Also do I do an exact replica or go 06 carbon record.


Surely this one has to be a replica?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Posts: 23176
Location: Retrobike HQ
ededwards wrote:
Lemond Fan wrote:
Also do I do an exact replica or go 06 carbon record.


Surely this one has to be a replica?


x2 for sure!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 am
Posts: 212
Location: Staffordshire
I knew thats what you would say !!! need to sell some bits on ebay to pay for all this as I going to concentrate on the one bike and throw all my effort and money behind that as new C Record is going through the roof....unless anyone has some items they want to sell

No pics as yet, will post in readers bike section, it needs a clean, polish and touch up on the forks otherwise perfect

Will call you tomorrow with the info they had 2 interesting frames 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 am
Posts: 116
I have some 8-speed c-record synchro 2 (I think) downtube shifters if you'd like to start the c-record build. I also have various bits of record Italian thread bottom bracket but I suspect your frame has a more sensible threading scheme than mine!

And here are some drop in bars:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCOTT-DROP-IN-ROA ... 19bafe0d5f

You must have drop in bars on a Lemond replica! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group