Raleigh 753 SBDU?

Nice big frame.... looks like the "re-finished 20 years ago" was most likely powder coat as it looks really thick around the lugs, plus the chipping off at the BB, seat tube top & head tube both show classic signs of crap masking before powder coating, then crap de-masking after.
If it is what its supposed to be then I would err on the side of caution when stripping it back, definitely get it professionally dipped rather than blasted as powdercoat takes a lot more effort and could damage the tubes…. :|

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,425
SB number looks like it has been added after. Dropout brazing is wrong for SBDU and I don't know it just doesn't look right.......

Re:

Many SBDU experts nowadays...I think they're overrated. But this frameset is all wrong - inexpensive lugs, dropouts poorly drilled (originally for a Portacatena), shorelines all wrong, seat cluster wrong, thick paint/powder, overstickered (like many are) and wrongly positioned...there's another frame number running across the BB, I also suspect the fork might not original to the frame anyway - where to stop the crit ?

Here's where to stop...the seller is a fraud.

Rk.

Re:

and it still sold for silly money! the misty eyed sentiment is skewing the market for Raleigh frames. I used to covet them myself and I bought one at one point. I wasn't impressed with it and flipped it in the end (for less than I paid). I think they're a bit Emperors new clothes.

Back