Ebay Australia ANC team bike possibly Malcolm Elliott`s ?

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Currently listed on Ebay Australia for the not inconsiderable sum of 100,000 Euro ( £89,864.12 ) this ex ANC bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Orig ... rk:12:pf:0

I initially suspected it might have been Kvetoslav Palov`s as he moved to OZ after his pro career ended but the more I look at it I`m thinking Malcolm Elliott? with the setup of the bars and brake cables and of course the frame size ( as top photo ).
I have messaged the seller to ask if the riders name is on it and no reply.
I recall reading that after leaving ANC , Malc had signed for Fagor but before joining the team spent the winter of `87 in Australia on the Sun Tour ( with Graham Jones? ) .
Does anyone know Malcolm to see if my crazy theory is correct? as the seller bought it at a Sunday Market in Victoria which is where the Sun Tour takes place.
In any case its a great find but at that ridiculous price I think its going to be hanging on that garage wall a while yet !

Attachments

• ANC-AUSTRALIA.jpg
    ANC-AUSTRALIA.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,371
  • elliottdf87.PNG
    elliottdf87.PNG
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,372
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Could be a tidy bike with some work but no detail on size or evidence that is an ex-team bike - fair value at the asking price minus £89,600 though.

ededwards":1q7mo9bx said:
Could be a tidy bike with some work but no detail on size or evidence that is an ex-team bike - fair value at the asking price minus £89,600 though.

I agree the listing lacks sufficient detail to match the claim and price however I personally have little doubt it`s the real thing ,it has full C Record groupset , cobalto brakes and sigma strada rims, ANC Halfords colours with race number hanger. There were no factory made accurate team replicas, only the low end gaspipe version. Only the crappy pedals and saddle are wrong.

marshalllucky":mh51d2na said:
Currently listed on Ebay Australia for the not inconsiderable sum of 100,000 Euro ( £89,864.12 ) this ex ANC bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Orig ... rk:12:pf:0

I initially suspected it might have been Kvetoslav Palov`s as he moved to OZ after his pro career ended but the more I look at it I`m thinking Malcolm Elliott? with the setup of the bars and brake cables and of course the frame size ( as top photo ).
I have messaged the seller to ask if the riders name is on it and no reply.
I recall reading that after leaving ANC , Malc had signed for Fagor but before joining the team spent the winter of `87 in Australia on the Sun Tour ( with Graham Jones? ) .
Does anyone know Malcolm to see if my crazy theory is correct? as the seller bought it at a Sunday Market in Victoria which is where the Sun Tour takes place.
In any case its a great find but at that ridiculous price I think its going to be hanging on that garage wall a while yet !

Friend of mine was a mechanic for ANC on the 87 Tour, he's mentioned in the highly regarded book - Wide Eyed and Legless. - he would have worked on that very bicycle of course - if it is genuine.

Rk.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

if the ANC riders only had one team bike, then it's not Malc's. A guy I rode with back in the early 90's, who was a friend of malcs rode Malcs bike as a winter bike with mudguards shoehorned-in and eventually scrapped it when the bike succumbed to the effects of several winters

Re: Re:

pigman":ksxadawe said:
if the ANC riders only had one team bike, then it's not Malc's. A guy I rode with back in the early 90's, who was a friend of malcs rode Malcs bike as a winter bike with mudguards shoehorned-in and eventually scrapped it when the bike succumbed to the effects of several winters
Little did he know it was a £89k bike :D

Looking again, head tube looks too short to be Elliot's. But what you lose there you surely gain with that sweet bidon

Re:

Seller responded with photo of BB , this frame number is the same format as the last batch of 753 frames made for ANC before the 87 tour , Paul Watsons, Adrian Timmis`s and Joey Mcloughlins ( although he was replaced at the last minute by Shane Sutton) had the same batch numbers so at least it is genuine. I still think its ME`s bike possibly even this one which he was still using for the Nissan classic in 87 after the tour and after team had gone bust. Malc and some other riders got a cash advance from Halfords to finish the season. It has the same patch of decal missing on the orange bar on the seat tube and the Peugeot decal on the chainstay is unusual as it sits quite high and overlaps onto the paint whereas they are usually always sited on the chromed section only. I really must get another late night hobby, I`m spending far too much time on RB these days.

Attachments

• MalcE.jpg
    MalcE.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,839
  • ANC.australia2.jpg
    ANC.australia2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,838
  • AustraliaANC.jpg
    AustraliaANC.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,837
Back