FALCON 753 SMALL FRAME / LADIES - MYSTERY

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Perplexed by this very nice Falcon 753 on ebay at the moment. Some may be aware I previously refurbished an ex team 753 from the 1989 PMS Falcon team ( elsewhere on this forum ) and my enquiries concluded Falcon only made 753 for their pro teams. However just look at this beauty, it has chrome rear triangle and forks . a race number hanger and nice chrome work on the lugs but it`s PINK !! but doesn`t look like a respray? . Anyone any clues as my `ex pro bike` radar is going crazy with this one.....Did Falcon ever sponsor any female riders ?.......It`s not my listing by the way !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falcon-ladie ... :rk:4:pf:0

Attachments

• vicky.jpg
    vicky.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,084
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Damn, that's great. I'm not sure why the assumption would be that it's a Women's frame, that pink is purely 80s, not necessarily a feminine pink, and there are plenty of pink men's bikes from well known builders too, plus everyone knows real men ride 52 cm frames.

roberts-strada-1.jpg

file.php

file.php

Re:

Would be interesting to know what it says on the bottom bracket what the rest of 'CKY' is ????

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,432
Re:

I did message the seller about the lettering on the BB but have had no reply. It is listed as a ladies bike so I carried the assumption forward. The decals are odd, The `pro circuit` was a lowly 501 framed machine which this clearly isnt. I reckon that maybe Falcon had some redundant ex team frames lying about and they used whatever decals they had and prob sold them off ?? . I recall Falcon Campagnolo in the 80`s had some smaller riders with similar frame sizes and I had a great poster years back with Phil Thomas`s Falcon which had the same chrome detailing on the headstock.

Attachments

• phil thomas.jpg
    phil thomas.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,404
Re:

I'm surprised, given this is a quality frame possibly an ex team, that it has a band on front changer and not a braze on jobby?

I am 100% certain that you will find that the BB is engraved "VICKY" and it would have belonged to Vicky Thomas, wife of Phil Thomas (in the pic above) and sister of Joey McLoughlin......she rode Falcon frames in the 80's when Phil was a pro....I think they were actually built by terry Dolan but I can't actually remember now!

This could be it.....Vicky is second from left holding the bike...I bet this is the frame in question

Attachments

• DAYSdFtXkAE-3oc.jpg
    DAYSdFtXkAE-3oc.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 1,285
What a fab piece of detective work! Great stuff. I never cease to be amazed by the knowledge and erudition of the members here.

And could that be THOMAS lurking behind the chain wheel there?

Marshall, are you going to go for this?
I am only asking as it is a very nice frame and it's my size as well. So despite the distance involved I could be interested.

Jamie

Re:

Jamiedyer":1m9dks7i said:
Marshall, are you going to go for this?
I am only asking as it is a very nice frame and it's my size as well. So despite the distance involved I could be interested.

Jamie
Hi Jamie, , I am not going for this one,so dont worry about a bidding war ! ( I have bought a 979 Peugeot vitus frame and one of them 125 anniversary Ti Raleigh frames that Deeside cycles have been selling off AND just won an interesting 708 framed Peugeot today all on ebay so my finances are too stretched this month ). I`m just glad my instincts are endorsed about this Falcon, thought it would have been snapped up, wonder if the seller is related to Vicky & Phil Thomas? as the user ebay id has `thom` in it?? ) . Andrew

Back