22" 50's / early 60s ? Ellis Briggs in West Yorks. **SOLD **

nonowt

rBotM Winner
Sale ended early - anyone on here make a sneaky offer? ;)

I was keeping quiet about this but being 6'6" tall i have to face up to the fact that it's too small.

I've had a little correspondence with the
Seller:
seat post and stem move freely. Wheels are 27"
There's a 531 decal on the frame (which he took to be the frame number)
He believes the paint to be original.

Other stuff:
Nice curved brake bridge
Chrome fork ends
Same simplex rear dropouts as a 50s model on classic lightweights.
Period campagnolo shifters and front mech
Brooks B17 saddle
Early looking weinmann centre pulls
Cottered stronglight/TA crankset
Steel GB bars.

Ends tomorrow.

Please someone buy it so i don't!

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252576765329

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 50s Ellis Briggs.

I've got a confession, i bought the bike. It was just down the road from where I live. The owner didn't really know anything about bikes. Most of the bits are Campy record apart from the rear mech which is first gen Dura race (Crane). He then gave me a NOS campy record rear mech out of his shed to go with the bike. The bike looked like this.

I then emailed Ellis Briggs with the Frame No: 1631, they replied a couple of days later to tell me it was one of their's, in fact its was made in 06/02/1951 23in International (top of the range at the time). So with this I mind i've had it repainted back at Ellis Briggs and slowly rebuilding it. Here's what it looks like so far.

Ah! Thanks for coming clean. I'm glad that it's gone to a good home and not been parted out and sold on. Ellis Briggs look to have done a nice job with the paint - much better than the orange. You'll have to start build thread to document it's progress.

Re: Images

Any chance you could post some photos as they don't appear to be displaying on mine.
Big EB fan. Had a couple of them in the past. Been to the shop in Shipley and they have some lovely bikes and frames on display. Cheers

Re:

Thanks for the comments, the photos seem to be there. It's become a bit of a hobby of mine, buying rusty old bikes and restoring them. I've posted some other photos of bikes i've done on the Reader's classic section. (Benotto 800, Eddy Merckx and Raleigh Ti Europa)

Re:

Awesome! Looks great. You should definitely enter this month's 40s/50s themed RBOTM.

I picked up a '53 Ellis Briggs Superbe that I'm slowly rebuilding:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=372030

Mine also went back to EB for a respray. Looks like we may have gone for the samd colour: flam royal blue?

Latest posts

Back