Paris Galibier 1951 only £3.5k....

Grease Monkey

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The thing with these 'speculative' adverts, is that they only need to get lucky once; but to get anywhere close, to £3,500, you'd need a massive amount of luck.

I don't know, with such a poor paint finish and horrific lug lining, the guy is only setting himself for massive critique.

And making himself look like a bit of an idiot! He used to trade under tall1960, as far as I remember. gets some nice stuff but generally overpriced.

+1 to all of that. I think it would really struggle to get more than 650 the way it's been refinished is evil. Terrible home lug lining job and white decals on a white frame? And a hand painted fork crown. It's a crime against cycling!

A strangely finished bike. It looks like the box lining has been masked for painting and is actually too perfect. Whilst the lug lining is terrible, possibly the frame has been powder coated, the lugs don't look as defined as they should be, there are no crisp edges which is a sign of powder coat. Top of the seat stays look very heavily coated. No excuse for the lug lining though! Looks like a Claud Butler seat post clamp although I have occasionally seen them used by other builders. I think the wrong decals if its 1951, should be more like this...

This sold at auction last year for £700

:roll:

Attachments

• 249_large.jpg
    249_large.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 852
  • Paris.jpg
    Paris.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 852
He's tried to copy the paint finish of this Holdsworth Monsoon here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351297440662? ... 26_rdc%3D1

And failed miserably!! It's definitely a cheap powder coat. And the awful lug lining is there to try and conceal the fact. If the seller wants to make on this bike they would be better to start from scratch and pay for a proper £3-400 paint finishing. As it is, the value of the bike is £3-400 with sucha shocking amateur paint.

Could do better :)

Looks awful. The cable tie holding the rear brake outer down is the coup de grace.

Is it just me, or is the Galibier overrated just because it looks different? I used to know Tom Board who built them for Paris and was licenced to make replicas, and even he didn't like them. I recall the originals had tensioned steel cables in place of the top tube(s), that would have been more interesting.

Back