Concorde Aquila frameset

This frame is a dead ringer for a Vitus 979. But no other Aquila I see in a Google search looks like this.

The seller mentions Vitus, but I don't know enough about either brand.

I do love the colours though.

Re:

Hi,

Its a TVT frame badged as a concorde. PDM used this frame in the mountain stages of the tour in 88/89. You can tell it's a TVT frame from the rear dropouts. This would make a great starting point for a PDM team replica. I have been looking for photos of the junction of the seattube and seatstays for ages. Normally there is a bolt helping to hold the whole thing together. On this frame it appears to be hidden. Nice.

Regards,

Pat

I agree with LDP, It's a Vitus 979.
Concorde TVT has another seatpost clamp and the seatstays are mounted with a bolt at the lug.
Concorde Aquila was only made in steel.

Re:

Yes, the givewaways are as follows:

band-on front deraileur
painted front fork - not the chrome one that would normally be seen on the slx or sl bikes
look at the seat stays - on the steel Concordes the chrome would go much higher.
The head tube is filled in as per the TVT frames that Delgado used in the '88 tour in the mountains.

Regards,

Pat

Re:

Opps.. I am wrong , it is a Vitus :facepalm: I just looked at some old footage from the '89 tour mountain time trial and there is no glint off the seat cluster. You would expect to see something if it was a TVT frame. The seat cluster is black like the rest of the back of the frame. So could the bikes used by PDM in the mountain time trials be rebadged Vitus carbone frames? :?

There is a Winning magazine centre spread poster of Gert Jan Theunisse in the 89 tour out of the saddle on one of these bikes. If anyone has this can they post it? I believe this would clear things up for me!!

Regards,

Pat

Re:

Just found the photo I was referring to, similar again to Kelly's bike, but the seat cluster is not what you would normally expect from a TVT frame.. looking more like a VITUS

Attachments

• gert jan PDM JPEG.jpg
    gert jan PDM JPEG.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 930
Back