Mario Confente, Worth the Price?

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Its one of the most collectible road bikes out there I think that the last one sold in the $8,000 range maybe this guy is dreaming/ But what really bugs me is that for the price he could not be bothered to get some NOS brake lever hoods or even a decent bar wrap job.

I will be watching but not buying.....

Steven

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mario-Confente- ... 27dfca7d10

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just out of curiosity why so much? I saw a few USA riders over here in the 70's (George Mount was one) but Mario Confenti doesn't ring any bells.

Shaun

Midlife":2xeffszl said:
Just out of curiosity why so much? I saw a few USA riders over here in the 70's (George Mount was one) but Mario Confenti doesn't ring any bells.

Shaun

He was a frame builder not a racer.

Mario Confente was hired by Faliero Masi, along with handful of other frame builders, to build Gran Criteriums in California in the early 1970s. The California made GCs of the early '70s are widely regarded as the finest outside of frames built by Falerio himself. (Although it remains controversial to say the least how to properly identify a Confente made Masi.) He started making frames under his own name and was enjoying some success but died young so only a handful were ever delivered. It's a perfect storm for a collectible bike: great story, fabled quality and low numbers.

Steven

Back