Paris Galibier £45 - Wolverhampton

Any Black country folks out there...better snap that up...thankfully too big fo rme.
Early 80s Suntour Campag TA mix.
Doesn't seem to have quite such an 'interrupted' seattube as most.:
Paris-Galibier(PXB-Feb09).jpg

Looks a bit more touring geometry.

All the best,

Seriously Ladies and Gentlemen, how is this still available?

The lack of band-on for the shifters, if not added later, suggests this is the Tom Board made example?

To quote from Classic Lightweights (http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/paris2.html)

"The Paris Galibier was the most iconic bicycle design of the 1950’s. This most classic of lightweight bicycles was introduced by PARIS Cycles in 1947. The Galibier has a unique style with single main strut frame, balanced by a pair of top tubes. The lugless construction is embellished with handsome bi-laminations at the head and strut joints. This then new and revolutionary design, thought to have originally been inspired by a French idea, aimed to eliminate ‘whip’ and yet, by allowing a certain elasticity that helped to absorb road shocks, give improved road holding. The Galibier had an immediately enthusiastic following – one that has continued over the years.
Then in the early 1980’s Michael Kemp with Monty Young of Condor Cycles set up Paris Lightweight Cycle. Tom Board was then Condor’s frame builder and custom built an improved PARIS Galibier and the diamond pattern Champion du Monde frames between 1981 and 1987. Now Condor Cycles have decided to re-introduce the PARIS Galibier as a custom frame built to order."

neuroportal":1sw6lpb8 said:
Seriously Ladies and Gentlemen, how is this still available?

It ain't, I've agreed to buy it :) . . . . . . . but he has inflated the price considerably :( .

neuroportal":1sw6lpb8 said:
The lack of band-on for the shifters, if not added later, suggests this is the Tom Board made example?

Yes, and surely, the fact that the brake cables run through the top tube, suggest a Tom Board built bike ? EDIT - just realised it does have twin top tubes.

The brake bridge on the seat stays, is of a more modern type, isn't it ?

Yes - he replied to me and he said the same. :)

Excellent find by the OP and hats off to you for going for it! Lovely frame. In my eyes at least, though recent detractors on the CTC forum state otherwise.

neuroportal":3s1kgf5k said:
. . . . . . . and hats off to you for going for it! Lovely frame. In my eyes at least, . . .

. . . but not in the eyes of my missus . . . . . . . she will not be happy.

In this instance, N + 1 will not apply . . . I think I'm going to have to sell my Ellis Briggs & my FW Evans. :(

hmmm I've had the inflated price email as well.

"just found out the value of these bikes. So going to have to put it up to £XXX."

Are they running up the price one email against another?

Hope someone on here manages to pick it up. Anyone got a contact number yet or is it all emails?

Robbied196":3fffb7qu said:
hmmm I've had the inflated price email as well.

"just found out the value of these bikes. So going to have to put it up to £XXX."

Yes, that's exactly what he told me !

Robbied196":3fffb7qu said:
Are they running up the price one email against another?

Quite likely.

I've always been interested in having one of these bikes - I guess that there may be some who would seek to purchase this bike, merely to sell on, but that ain't my intention. I'd be buying it as a 'keeper' and it would certainly get used frequently.

I am, however, half-expecting to be 'let down' - ie, he inflates the price again. However, on principle, I'm not going to be drawn into an auction situation, I've agreed a price with him & I've agreed a time when to pick it up; however, despite an email requesting it, he hasn't provided his address.

neuroportal":3fffb7qu said:
. . . and hats off to you for going for it!

Well I've gone for it . . . . . . . time will tell if I actually get it . . . I'm meant to be collecting it, tomorrow morning.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get your hands on it. Unfortunately, the seller seems to have rumbled he has quite a rare machine.

Robbied196":17hdsd35 said:
Good luck, I hope you manage to get your hands on it. Unfortunately, the seller seems to have rumbled he has quite a rare machine.

Yes, despite having agreed to sell it to me - for two different prices, it looks like it will be going to another buyer.

My latest email from the seller . . . . . . .

""some bloke in Cambridge is willing to pay me £400 . . ."

I wonder what the ultimate selling price will be.

At least, I won't have to face the wrath of my Missus. :D

Back