Are these any good/worth the price - Peugeot bikes?!

Ryan98

Dirt Disciple
Hey,
I'm new to this website and entirely new to the idea of a road bike, or bikes in general to be honest, so please be patient with my lack of knowledge :D . I've had my size checked and that's it really.
Anyway I have an extremely tight budget and would like to know what you guys think of these bikes! Yes I realise for at an absolute maximum £250 isn't going to get me anything great but I need to work with it. Given the budget I have the older models are the only ones I can get really and I have took a huge liking to peugeot bikes, as I think the aesthetics are brilliant and the rest of Internet seems to like them as bikes :p
Anyway what I would like to know is...are these bikes good (good is a subjective word but roll with it :p ) and would they be worth the cost? (With £27 on top for a courier) ( And perhaps if i should make some minor adjustments to them but i dont want to restore these bikes, but any cheap adjustments that may be worth it. :eek: )
I have established this is a peugeot competition 5000, correct me if I'm wrong please. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-allum ... 2a2f7f8041 I was thinking of paying max 120 (147 with courier)
And the other one with looks in better nick but I can't really tell as a novice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Cours ... 58a2bf8057
I was thinking max 220 (247 with courier)
Sorry for the short notice but I would like a prompt rely as they end in a couple of days :LOL: even if they've expired please tell me what you think to broaden my knowledge, cheers ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 4,719
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,721
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
IMHO the top one is by far the better buy Campagnolo Ergos alone make it so ;) Good luck and hope you can get it for your price :D

Thank you for the swift reply, I will definitely take your opinion on board :) I've gathered from my research those campagnolo ergos are the gear shifters, Would it be reasonable to expect to get it for that price?

HI Ryan, welcome to the forum

Firstly can I ask what height you are as these are small frames?
Secondly the second bike will be the better, most comfortable ride as it's a steel frame but the first bike is a better buy at todays prices

Hi, I'm 5'7 1/2" with a 30" inside leg, this was around the size the guy in halfords said I was :p cheers, so steel is more comfortable due to the rigidness I would presume? But isn't aluminium lighter thus the bike might be quicker?

I think at 5'7" you might find these frames a bit on the small side. I'm 5'6" 30" inside leg and ride 52, 54 and 56 frames. 55 would be my preference, 56 and 54 are a good fit, 52 is the smallest I would go but I do feel that I should sell it and get something a bit bigger.

Might be better if you try a few different sizes of older style bikes (modern frame geometry is a whole different ballgame) to find your preference

First one mate, definitely. The equipment on it is a much better standard, being an aluminium frame it won't be rusted, and having a lady owner it is far less likely to have been thrashed. The wheels also look good quality.

As already mentioned, the ergos (brakes and gear shifters combined) are worth a fair few pounds and are standard in terms of shifting, replacing the older down tube levers on the second bike!

Get some pedals and a mans saddle and away you go. Frame size will be fine, get the seat up and give you a nice position.

Finally, the second bike isn't worth 195 pounds!

47p2":tu1zgy9d said:
I think at 5'7" you might find these frames a bit on the small side. I'm 5'6" 30" inside leg and ride 52, 54 and 56 frames. 55 would be my preference, 56 and 54 are a good fit, 52 is the smallest I would go but I do feel that I should sell it and get something a bit bigger.

Might be better if you try a few different sizes of older style bikes (modern frame geometry is a whole different ballgame) to find your preference

Right I'll take that on board, however I don't have a very long reach at all, and I gathered the first one being already ridden by someone 5'8" it'd suit me, but what I might do is look at some older bikes on gumtree locally and give them a try for size :)

Matt_wood55":1lsuw7ff said:
First one mate, definitely. The equipment on it is a much better standard, being an aluminium frame it won't be rusted, and having a lady owner it is far less likely to have been thrashed. The wheels also look good quality.

As already mentioned, the ergos (brakes and gear shifters combined) are worth a fair few pounds and are standard in terms of shifting, replacing the older down tube levers on the second bike!

Get some pedals and a mans saddle and away you go. Frame size will be fine, get the seat up and give you a nice position.

That's a great bit of info on that bike cheers! I noticed the wheels looked to be in good condition, I forgot about changing the saddle so ill do that and add some pedals if I win it. About what you said about the second bike, well that's quite a relief as its right at the top end of of my (tiny) budget! think I was convinced by the price and nice paint job that it would be worth that much :p

Ryan98":z66v5lgi said:
Matt_wood55":z66v5lgi said:

That's a great bit of info on that bike cheers! I noticed the wheels looked to be in good condition, I forgot about changing the saddle so ill do that and add some pedals if I win it. About what you said about the second bike, well that's quite a relief as its right at the top end of of my (tiny) budget! think I was convinced by the price and nice paint job that it would be worth that much :p

I should have added though that for 250 you can pick up some really nice bikes if you bide your time. Don't go mad bidding on the first ones you see.

Back