Overpriced auctions thread

Annoying Twit

Dirt Disciple
I've seen other forums on other topics that have an 'overpriced auctions' thread, which sometimes enables general merriment. No idea if this will go down well here, but I'll start one and see what happens.

Raleigh Record Sprint 'spares or repair'

This bike is rusty, the nuts and bolts have rust. The crank is rusty and pedal arms dont turn, brake and gear cables are rusty, handle bar tape needs to be replaced.

The back wheel is buckled and will be removed unless buyer specifically requests wheel (no front wheel)

Starting bid of £159.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
This raleigh technium starting at 'just' £1100!

Do people not think to check similar listings before setting a start price? Or is it a typo and should read £10...

I cannot begin to describe how shocked I am that an '82 Stumpy is being offered for $25k... it's not even an '81 model :LOL:

There has been speculation ad nauseum about what drives Mr. bbcbikes. One RB member suggested he does it just for the attention, which I am guilty of providing. Perhaps it is ironic performance art, after all it is the Budget Bike Center.

When I clicked on 'completed auctions', it seems that Mr bbcbikes does sell quite a few bikes. They weren't bikes in the tens of thousands of dollars. Looking at the sums the bikes went for, it looks as if he started lower (but still eye-watering as far as I can see), and is rapidly increasing prices. I'd guess that he's trying to find where the ceiling is.

The History Man":1zhp8oze said:
He's been outed on here before. Even the 'normal' bikes are silly money.

I found some other threads. The suggestions that it might be a money laundering scheme sound plausible in my opinion.

Back