I know nothing......Old Road Bike Help with I.D. Please???

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Literally 5 minutes from me. What is is and would it be too small for a 33 ins leg? Very tempting but I don't know if it's worth doing up or age or anyfink?

Are bits standard/easy to source etc?

Help me out you roadies :mrgreen: :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racing-Bike-O ... 3a81b6cd1c

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: I know nothing......Old Road Bike

I know nothing about the frame, but it's got some interesting components fitted, most of them pretty good based on my very limited knowledge.

I'm not sure about the size, more especially the reach. Do you think you could get a look and a sit before you consider a bid, or cheeky face to face cash in the hand offer?

EDIT: BTW: The Mavic 851(?) rear mech is worth a lot more than 99p.

NeilM":1ud6whx3 said:
I know nothing about the frame, but it's got some interesting components fitted, most of them pretty good based on my very limited knowledge.

I'm not sure about the size, more especially the reach. Do you think you could get a look and a sit before you consider a bid, or cheeky face to face cash in the hand offer?

Thank you Mystic Meg! Already been chatting and working my Jedi mind tricks. Apparently not ridden for years. Have asked if i can pop round..............

Does look a bit short on the reach? What with me having stumpy legs thought frame might be ok?

What would you give for it? I have no idea on this one.

The History Man":2nwibmai said:
Does look a bit short on the reach? What with me having stumpy legs thought frame might be ok?

What would you give for it? I have no idea on this one.

It might be OK, and you can always run the seat close to the top tube, it depends on the stem length, I use 110mm stems on my road bikes, so that is always an option.

How much? No idea, but as I just put in my first post, that Mavic rear mech on it's own is a saleable item.

Ask Tel about prices, he's been wheeler dealing (see what I did there?) for a good while.

Right! Works done, I'm off for a ride on my Concorde.... bike that is, I've not got my own supersonic jet aircraft.... not yet anyway.

Re: I know nothing......Old Road Bike Help with I.D. Please?

Thanks for that. Hopefully somebody will be able to give me a clue as to age etc? Does the pre 97 site rule apply to road bikes?

Looks like a Vitus 979 Lugged aluminuim frame...........there are collectors who love these frames and some of the kit isn't too shabby either.

I always wanted an ALAN aluminium frame like the above Vitus and got a nice ALAN one for £155 which I thought was a good price for the frame :)

Being Collectable means that someone on e-bay might be looking waiting to grab a bargain from someone who doesn't know what it is. I'd pop over and try it for size and make an offer :D

Shaun

Just got back. He wants to let it run as he has lots of watchers and no idea of its value. Was given it by a mate years back, used it and found it too scary on the roads. been in garage ever since.

If you're right about the frame i bet there's a few snipers out there waiting for it.

I hadn't got a clue what I would offer anyway. What would you/I bid for it?

It depends on e-bay and who wants it most out of the bidders....£300-£400 maybe if there is a bun fight?

Shaun

Midlife":1i2luktf said:
It depends on e-bay and who wants it most out of the bidders....£300-£400 maybe if there is a bun fight?

Shaun

Crikey! Way out of my league then. :facepalm:

Ebay is very odd when it comes to so called 'desirable / collectable' bikes and frames, as you know I got a Fuquay mtb frame for £165 and the other day I watched a DeKerf (a Canadian Holy Grail of a frame) go for £185. Both frames would have cost the best part of a grand when new.

Anyway, enough of that: Did it fit?

If it did, and you want it, then choose a figure you are happy to pay, and bang it in at the last second.

As a guide I bid £300 for the Fuquay and £360 for my Roberts DB, which I got for £240 (I think), and I got my Concorde frame for £130, but I think I was the only bidder.

One thing the seller does not realise is that watchers do not often bid. I was the only person to bid on my scrapheap Raleigh, despite the fact it had 20 watchers.

Fingers crossed for you and I look forwards to bringing my Concorde over for a (gentle) road ride.

Back