Raleigh Castarama 753

I saw that earlier...my timing has never been great so it's typical the perfect frame should come up a week before Argos Cycles start painting my 'compromise' frame to look like this one...damn and blast!

It's 653 BTW, but has lovely braze ons for race number and front mech, did I say damn and blast?

Oh yes, I did..damn.

Martin

It's a respray and the paint job looks shocking around the head tube - would need blasting and respraying again. Could have done a better job with a brush!!

Ah yes, must admit I didn't look that closely, would have had a much better look at those larger pics if I was intending to dip my hand in my pocket. But seeing as said pocket is now empty I moved quickly on!

Penfold6290":35mbjf27 said:
Ah yes, must admit I didn't look that closely, would have had a much better look at those larger pics if I was intending to dip my hand in my pocket. But seeing as said pocket is now empty I moved quickly on!
How much will the respray cost at Argos if you don't mind me asking? I have a 653 Raleigh which is showing it's age, and like you am thinking of Casto-ing it up!

Would love the one in the thread, but not paying that much to shell out the same again getting it right!

Matt_wood55":2d9j5ce4 said:
Penfold6290":2d9j5ce4 said:
How much will the respray cost at Argos if you don't mind me asking? I have a 653 Raleigh which is showing it's age, and like you am thinking of Casto-ing it up!

Would love the one in the thread, but not paying that much to shell out the same again getting it right!

My respray is costing £238 which includes a few extras, namely -

Add braze on hanger for front derailleur
Tidy up bottle bosses (they are rivet in types not brazed on and they spin in the holes
Fit new Campy headset (supplied by me)
Remove and refit head badge
Remove and refit BB cable guide
Apply decals (supplied by me)

I am having the decals lacquered over after fitting, I got them from Greg at Cyclomondo http://www.cyclomondo.net/page20.htm including the foil Dynatech sticker. I would say that having bought from Greg and a set from Ebay that the Ebay ones are close but nowhere near as good as Greg's. My Dyna Tech gets painted on March 16th and I can't wait to get it home so I can bolt on the Deltas and all the C Record bling that I have bought over the last 3 months...

Martin

Penfold6290":2auv1r93 said:
Matt_wood55":2auv1r93 said:
Penfold6290":2auv1r93 said:

My respray is costing £238 which includes a few extras, namely -

Add braze on hanger for front derailleur
Tidy up bottle bosses (they are rivet in types not brazed on and they spin in the holes
Fit new Campy headset (supplied by me)
Remove and refit head badge
Remove and refit BB cable guide
Apply decals (supplied by me)

I am having the decals lacquered over after fitting, I got them from Greg at Cyclomondo http://www.cyclomondo.net/page20.htm including the foil Dynatech sticker. I would say that having bought from Greg and a set from Ebay that the Ebay ones are close but nowhere near as good as Greg's. My Dyna Tech gets painted on March 16th and I can't wait to get it home so I can bolt on the Deltas and all the C Record bling that I have bought over the last 3 months...

Martin
I think that's pretty good value, esp with the hanger and boss mods - will consider going down that route myself, my frame is band on front mech. Thanks for the tip with the decals. The real team frames didn't lacquer them in so they could be replaced easily when required, but for a retro build it will look a lot cleaner.

Looking forward to seeing pics!

I think it's also important to lacquer over the decals as none of these repro guys will guarantee how long the colours will last in the full glare of the sun...UV will deteriorate the colour on some (not all).

I saw this earlier on and I thought of you Matt, longing after your 653 that you sold, but then I looked at the paintwork and the shoddy attempt at the decals by Dizzibird on Ebay. My decals are much better.

I'm looking at the frame and i'm wondering if it is even a Raleigh.....If so why no proper headbadge. Not to hard to come by if you are doing a proper restoration....

Stephen

kettlo":14provpv said:
I saw this earlier on and I thought of you Matt, longing after your 653 that you sold, but then I looked at the paintwork and the shoddy attempt at the decals by Dizzibird on Ebay. My decals are much better.

I'm looking at the frame and i'm wondering if it is even a Raleigh.....If so why no proper headbadge. Not to hard to come by if you are doing a proper restoration....

Stephen
Thanks Stephen

I don't think it's Raleigh. If the paint was good then I would take a punt, but spending that much and then finding another £200 for a respray is asking too much. Gutted smiley face!!!

Cheers
Matt

Back