SR & NR chainset confusion?

American Friend

Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You are correct.... NR chainrings have a lower suporting "ring" whilst the SR have a single ring with a triangular cut-out above the chainring bolt.

In my youth we converted NR to SR look alikes with a hacksaw, drill and a file :D

Shaun

Ah, reckless youth. I remember drilling a Stronglight chainset and the seatpost on a PX10, but I would never have taken the risk on a Record chainset. I could barely afford one back then.

I guess these sellers on eBay who don't know their Super Record from their Nuovo Record must be a lot younger than us! Strange, though, since it's so obvious how to tell them apart. Maybe it's a ploy to make us think they're dummies and it's got to be a bargain. :LOL:

Am I right in thinking that the arms are exactly the same though? I always see a lot of parts that are wrongly identified, but with campagnolo I think it's very understandable - just look at the explanation given by lazarus of the differences (or lack of) between chorus and athena in another thread!

Yes, the cranks are the same;only the chainrings differ. A few Campagnolo parts are hard to identify properly, but this case is obvious. It can get a little tricky if a chainset has mixed chainrings, but the two examples above from eBay are just incorrectly identified.

Back